European Woodworking Show - Cressing Temple Barns, Essex

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the go ahead from SWMBO today so looking to go on the Saturday as well. Shall we have a meet up at Richard's stand for those attending from the site? I'll keep an eye out for you Andy either way mate.

We are probably going on Saturday as well.

Pete

Going on the Sunday

Apparently there's a National Trust place a few miles away where you can dump your wife and kids - very thoughtful of them!

I'll be there for most of Saturday, you might find me (and the wife) helping out on the MAC Timbers stall in the Marquee around lunch time.

Be sure to visit the MAC Timbers stand, say hello to Mike & Rene who are back trading again after 2 years of hard work rebuilding their business and lives. Mike's got a wonderful selection of bowl blanks, turning blanks and some lovely slabs of timber prepared to bring down to the show.

To get in touch with Mike, and to see his new workshop building, see the details on his website here:

http://www.mactimbers.com

Look forward to seeing you at the show, Tom.

Turns out I now have cradle training Saturday morning. Grrrr.
Might still make it depending on how ocd the training guy is... Ahhhh that's the up button is it? Remarkable. So it goes up and down, luffs in and out and traverses does it? Staggering. So it's like every other cradle I've been in the last 20 years? Astounding. Can I just sign the paperwork mate? No? You want to explain everything again do you? That's great. *sigh

Will likely miss the meet up now though so look out for a tall muscular, shaven headed, heavily tattooed man. I find formal introductions awkward and much prefer an unannounced kick in the back of the knee or surprise rabbit punch to the back of my head. I know this sounds odd but it's true.
Look forward to meeting you all!
Cheers
Chris

Bm101":1f93r3f8 said:
look out for a tall muscular, shaven headed, heavily tattooed man. I find formal introductions awkward and much prefer an unannounced kick in the back of the knee or surprise rabbit punch to the back of my head.
More chance of me telling SWMBO her jeans are looking a bit tight lately.

Lol. I've met Andy so I'm sure I'll bump into a couple of you if I can make it there at a reasonable time. If not it's Sunday. Looking forward to it I must admit.

Bm101":37f8ywj4 said:
Turns out I now have cradle training Saturday morning. Grrrr.
Might still make it depending on how ocd the training guy is... Ahhhh that's the up button is it? Remarkable. So it goes up and down, luffs in and out and traverses does it? Staggering. So it's like every other cradle I've been in the last 20 years? Astounding. Can I just sign the paperwork mate? No? You want to explain everything again do you? That's great. *sigh

Will likely miss the meet up now though so look out for a tall muscular, shaven headed, heavily tattooed man. I find formal introductions awkward and much prefer an unannounced kick in the back of the knee or surprise rabbit punch to the back of my head. I know this sounds odd but it's true.
Look forward to meeting you all!
Cheers
Chris

When you said cradle training on a Saturday - I thought you pre-natal / baby classes!! I'll hold off on the congratulations then!! :)

Sorry chaps the wife has done her back in so I won't be there.

Pete

Well, I got back alive. I missed the meet up by about half an hour if it happened but I had a grand old time on my own wandering about. I met some lovely folk. Had a bit of a weird moment when I saw Rxh's Goodmanham plane on Richard Arnold's stall. Two chaps having a chat. I'm not all that great at introductions initially and so on, I find it quite tricky tbh but met Rxh, a complete pleasure btw, proper gent and even got to have a tentative go with the plane! Had a chat with lots of nice and patient folk. Eavesdropped on Phil from Phillyplanes and learnt some trade secrets that he was generous enough to share. As always I was struck by how nice wood type people tend to be.
Quality of the planes (my particular fancy) was spectacular. Seeing Richard Arnold's woodies that I've seen on here in real life was a particular treat. Bill Carter's stall and chat was both eye opening, amusing and insightful. Ollie Sparks planes were just sublime.
(Apologies to Richard for not saying hello, everytime I popped back you were busy. I was the dodgy looking little fella in a purple hoody with the shaved head. Would have been nice to have a chat. Ah well, next time maybe.)
Curry for lunch. Bosh.
Loads of tools stuff of course. Didn't even stop to look at the Lie Nielsen or Veritas stalls lol. Blue Spruce! Dear god. Made me pucker just looking at the prices. Each to their own of course.
All in all I had a lovely day.
Then I found MacTimbers.... :D Mike was a lovely guy and I think I met you too Tom briefly.
Bit of 1/4 sawn bog oak and a some oak and elm burr later I ran to the van and drove down the M11 in a rainstorm. Top day out.

xcHPpMa.jpg

7rwv1o9.jpg

MIL was taken into hospital so was left with the kids today. She is doing fine now but still gutted I didn't make it.

Bm101":3d4t6zp2 said:
Then I found MacTimbers.... :D Mike was a lovely guy and I think I met you too Tom briefly.
Bit of 1/4 sawn bog oak and a some oak and elm burr later I ran to the van and drove down the M11 in a rainstorm. Top day out.

Yep that was me, nice to meet you, and some lovely looking bits of timber there!

I really enjoyed the show, such a shame it might be the last one! I was a little disappointed by the lack of any major machine or power tool manufacturers being there, previously Record & Charnwood (iirc) have had had stalls there as well as CamVac etc. Despite this though I had a good time. Always great to see Richard Arnold with his fine collection of planes, I've still not had a go on the 2 man moulding plane (wink wink) and as always good to see David Charlesworth, as well as Deneb Puchalski and the man himself Tom Lie-Nielsen.

I ended walking away with a new dovetail saw and scrub plane from the Veritas stand, after deciding the Mrs would kill me if I spent £500 on the LN Shooting Plane which I had a play with - WANT ONE!

For anyone who didn't find Mike and the MAC Timbers stand, he's holding an open day on 14th October - details soon on http://www.MACtimbers.com

All the best, Tom.

Cheers Tom, nice to meet you to briefly.
TBH I think I was quite lucky to get away the bog oak. Not a hundred percent sure Mike wanted to actually sell it to me! :wink:
Quick heads up, your link to Mactimbers open day doesn't work for me.

@ Memzey, sorry to hear that mate. Glad to hear your MIL is okay though.

I went on the Sunday - really enjoyed the place. Cam away with lots of timber blanks and a new plane. Be gutted if it is the last one.

Does anyone know why they are finishing. It seemed pretty full and on Saturday there was a request on their website to cooperate with the car park attendants so they could squeeze everyone in. Sounds like good attendance to me!

Stanleymonkey":379a1m8k said:
Does anyone know why they are finishing. It seemed pretty full and on Saturday there was a request on their website to cooperate with the car park attendants so they could squeeze everyone in. Sounds like good attendance to me!

It was the last show as it is taking up too much time to organise and the possibility that they will lose money. The car park announcement was to do with the fact that there was a problem with parking at an event a few weeks ago. Apparently, the car park has never been more than 75% full during the EWS event.

Neil

Back