Anybody going to the European Woodworking show this weekend?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nearly went, but the lineup (or lack of) powertools wasn't inspiring enough to make the (short) trip... Maybe I was wrong :lol:
Hope to get over to Braintree for the festool tour though :)

I brought home a slightly battered I. Sorby scorp, a lime blank (for Doris), some ebony blanks (for Doris), and finally...

E1218B65-29FA-4A11-AEDA-533819813E9E-1896-000004C447ADDF70.jpg

... a 2015 pound coin to adorn the new workbench!

I also bumped into Adam9453, which was a nice surprise :)

It was good to see you DTR, as I say, you'll have to come and have a look at the workshop when you're in the area

Having seen it mentioned here, I went for the first time yesterday and really enjoyed it. The weather stayed pretty good. The buildings and garden are very interesting in themselves. There was a good mix of things going on, but as has already been said - more rustic/craft/handtool stuff than trade/powertool stuff (more 'green oak', than 'MDF').

I sometimes perceived a bit of a conflict though - there were some people showing and selling their craftworks - some of it incredibly beautiful and/or skillfully done - but I think that most of the people there (me certainly, but perhaps not Mrs. W2S I suppose) were more interested in making things themselves (and learning skills and tips/techniques) than in buying stuff (other than tools!) made by other people. I felt a little sorry for one or two folk primarily trying to sell woodwork to woodworkers (not easy!).

I went to a couple of excellent talks by Derek Jones (Editor of 'Furniture & Cabinetmaking' https://www.thegmcgroup.com/pc/viewCate ... tegory=701 ) and learned about how to use shellac and beeswax to good effect.

I managed to show enormous restraint and din't buy any tools - did buy a couple of books though.

Having spent nearly 10am to 4pm there, I felt there were still a couple of things I'd like to have spent more time investigating. I'll definitely think about going again next year. Cheers, W2S

Interesting - I went yesterday too and spent a couple of hours. For those bemoaning the lack of power tools - its a show organised by Classic Hand Tools - how many machines were you expecting to see?! What surprised me was the lack of a book stall / magazine stall this time around. Good range of hand tools and some high end stuff and my son (age 9) really enjoyed the carvings and the axe making demos. I thought the veneer stall had a good variety of burrs, although no birds eye maple sadly, and I managed to only come away with one of David Barrons dovetail guides. I would have had a saw too, but he was only taking cash rather than cards which therefore cost him a sale! Not sure I could have spent the entire day there and certainly not 2 days. I wouldn't necessarily go if I didn't want something specific, but if you are into hand tools, especially the high end variety, then it is worth a trip. No major show discounts that I saw however, so don't go expecting a mega bargain. Well worth it if you want to touch / feel / try before you buy however.

Steve

Woody2Shoes":cm6cp0eb said:
- did buy a couple of books though

StevieB":cm6cp0eb said:
What surprised me was the lack of a book stall / magazine stall this time around.

:?

I am a little frustrated that I didn't come home with something from Lost Art Press. Last time round the Classic Hand Tools stall was selling them, but I didn't see any books there this time. Did I miss something? :x

DTR":1ajt5f4s said:
Woody2Shoes":1ajt5f4s said:
- did buy a couple of books though

StevieB":1ajt5f4s said:
What surprised me was the lack of a book stall / magazine stall this time around.

:?

I am a little frustrated that I didn't come home with something from Lost Art Press. Last time round the Classic Hand Tools stall was selling them, but I didn't see any books there this time. Did I miss something? :x

I saw books in several locations. Lost Art Press were on the stall next to Bill Carter. Ron Hock had a stack of his books that he was Autographing on his stall.

PAC1":2ck66qvg said:
I saw books in several locations. Lost Art Press were on the stall next to Bill Carter. Ron Hock had a stack of his books that he was Autographing on his stall.

I must have been distracted by all the bright and shiny things :?

I have to say that the show was most enjoyable for me. Where else can on meet Ron Hock, Chris Vesper and Dave Jeske in the flesh?

Numerous past students dropped by to say hello. This is great. (Some even said courses had helped!) None of this generates new business but there was certainly some interest.

I love the phrases people use when you put a properly sharpened and tuned plane in their hands and get them to take shavings.

An effort was made to draw attention to the fantastic review, by Chris Schwarz, of the "Secret Mitre Dovetail" DVD, but it did not seem get read much.

The small chest of drawers was used in this years offering "Drawer Making and Fitting"

Too many fantastic people to mention, a great show.

David

StevieB":3in8i6iy said:
Interesting - I went yesterday too and spent a couple of hours. For those bemoaning the lack of power tools - its a show organised by Classic Hand Tools - how many machines were you expecting to see?!
If you had been to the show in previous years, you would know that previously there has been great selections of machines, power tools aswell as all the hand tools.
I think if there had been one stall there selling power tools at a slight discount it would have sold out very quickly.
If you enjoyed it, great, but for those of us expecting more based on previous years then I hope you can understand it was lacking in areas.

I hadn't been before but thought the absence of screaming routers and chop saws was a major plus. Thoroughly enjoyed it. As a compromise, maybe put the power tools at the far side of the field.

Jim

Latest posts

Back