Eucalyptus

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

entasis

Reaction score
This eucalyptus 'ghost gum' was planted in the 1980s and has fallen in my garden. It has been affected by a fungus. Is it useable for furniture or turning?
Thanks
David

eucalyptus.jpeg

Dont see why not. The cut bits look quite clean. Here in Australia ghost gum is not much used apart for perhaps firewood. Likely because there are few strait bits in a tree. I would think furniture may be a challenge but I have never tried it or even know anyone who has. It would likely be worth a try turning a couple of bits.
When you see those trees on a moonlit night you know where the name came from.
Regards
John

Eucalyptus is fun to turn, but moves an awful lot. It will split horribly if you try to dry thick blanks whole, but if turned wet, they warp like crazy. I can try and find a picture of a eucalyptus bowl I have made. The top started flat and ended up really curved. I think the colour is great too.

This eucalyptus 'ghost gum' was planted in the 1980s and has fallen in my garden. It has been affected by a fungus. Is it useable for furniture or turning?
Thanks
David

View attachment 170299
Just seen you are in Reading. Do you have a mill? If not, I can bring my saw and mill and we could have a go at processing some if you wanted? What is the maximum diameter?

Thanks for your replies! I have no mill or turning experience, the wood is so dense and close-grained it's tough to use for firewood. It would be great to see at least some of it used for either turning or furniture. It must be about 8' in diameter on the trunk.

The trunk looks rather distorted and may have a certain amount of reaction wood in it. This could possibly make it challenging to get usable boards, but I'd get the advice of an experienced miller before making a decision. I suspect rescuing parts for turning and carving might be the best uses for it, and perhaps firewood for the rest. Slainte.

Eucalyptus is fun to turn, but moves an awful lot. It will split horribly if you try to dry thick blanks whole, but if turned wet, they warp like crazy. I can try and find a picture of a eucalyptus bowl I have made. The top started flat and ended up really curved. I think the colour is great too.

Depends on the species. There are over 800 varieties and a lot of them are very stable. Some are even used in stringed instrument making, and you need a very stable timber for that purpose.

However, having said all that, ghost gum is not one of the more stable varieties of eucalypt.

Reading isnt far from me, I'd happily have a go at turning some if it happened to appear on my doorstep, I'd even put the kettle on for the delivery driver 😉🤪

Back