EU To ban Nitromors! - Lobby your MEP NOW!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MilkyBarKid

Established Member
Reaction score
The EU intend to ban many paint strippers such as nitromors despite opposition from many countries. "the commission, in bringing forward this proposal, did not allow this proposal to be further discussed or voted by Member States’ representatives who have been debating the matter for six years. Despite knowing that banning ninety percent of paint removers from the market will clearly be highly disruptive, it intends to go ahead" telegraph.

If you care about this perhaps you could inform/lobby your MEP - I believe the vote is sometime on or soon after 8th Jan.

This site has some forther information and links to your mp's & mep's addresses and a potted letter. This ban will not only apply to amateur users but also to professional users too.

Sorry I've not had time to research this any more but perhaps others could do that.

I'm off to mail my mp & mep - I've been using nitromors for 35 years.

MBK

but what you forgot to say is that it contains a suspected carcinogen (which is possibly why they might want to ban it?)

I read an article on the weekend about how those meddling Brussels folk wanted to ban British farmers growing carrots, "How dare they interfere with our great Farmers, best food in the world" blah blah blah.

Read on and you find the Uk farmers use far higher levels of chemicals than other countries plus some pesticides that are banned in Scandinavia.
So maybe I am trying to say in roundabout way that maybe its a good thing.

This is from someone who used to strip and restore grand pianos using nitromors, while I recognise its stripping capabilities I would rather not die of cancer - thanks EU

It's unfortunate but there will always be some people who may inadvertently or deliberately expose themselves to risk by breathing/contact it in use. Then there are others who realise the implications, who have a modicum of commonsense, and who follow at least the basic safety instructions. £25 buys a proper respirator for organic solvents and some nitrile gauntlets and the risk is then minimal.

What will happen is people will be frustrated by inferior products, and resort to methods like heat guns which can release all manner of equally obnoxious chemicals, containing in some cases Lead compounds.

Bloody eurocrats :?

I can't say I've ever used it. So maybe I should just buy a couple of tins and not worry about whether they ban it or not?

Twisted Logic, moi?

I believe it's methylene dichloride which is the carcinogen. What ever it is, it's been recognised for years by HSE as a potential problem. It's also used (main one for me) as an adhesive for polycarbonate. Also found in (buggexxed) brush cleaners, but no one here ever uses that...

It's nasty horrible stuff that I hate using but does do the job very well, if they ban it and we get a good replacement then all well and good. Don't know what the replacement might be though and if it made paint stripping harder I would be displeased.

Surely it must be down to whether in use it has an acceptable level of risk, isn't the benzene in petrol a carcinogen for example?

Ironballs":39w7pu2u said:
It's nasty horrible stuff that I hate using but does do the job very well, if they ban it and we get a good replacement then all well and good. Don't know what the replacement might be though and if it made paint stripping harder I would be displeased.

Surely it must be down to whether in use it has an acceptable level of risk, isn't the benzene in petrol a carcinogen for example?

So if it's carcinogenic then why doesn't the EU ban the sale of cigarettes? Standards. Double. Re-arrange into a well-known phrase or saying.

I have been using nitromors for more years than I would like to think about. Reading OP makes my blood boil. Why did so many people fight so many years ago to stop domination, and well what has happened nothing. Sorry if I upset people with this but it should not be happening, full stop.

I've had two replies from my conservative MEPs - the others haven't bothered to reply yet. Evidently they are trying to table amendments to the legislation. But the Germans, French and Danish are for a total ban. They are worried about the narcotic effects of Nitromors. Personally I'd have thought that there were cheaper ways to get wasted if that's your thing.

This is their reply. Although I had heard that the ban was to be total for professional and amateur use - so I'm not quite sure about what they're talking about when they mention "restricted permission for professional use" - the Germans evidently don't want this.

Thank you for writing to me about the European Commission's proposal regarding restrictions on the marketing and use of Dichloromethane (DCM), a chemical mainly used in paint-strippers such as Nitromors. The chemical has been defined as a carcinogen in the category C2 (IARC). The Commission has decided to take action on the use of products that have this chemical in them.

The Commission proposes a complete ban for consumer use of DCM products and restricted permission for professional use. Member States would be allowed to grant licenses to specially trained professionals, if their work is conducted according to mandatory requirements, such as ventilation, fluro-gloves and respiratory equipment. Industrial use would also be permitted under safe conditions. The Parliament's Rapporteur Mr Schlyter (Green Party) is now proposing a complete ban on both consumer and professional use.

Conservative MEPs support additional workplace controls for the use of dichloromethane-based products but we see no reason for adopting absolute bans for either professional or consumer use. We also consider some of the proposed restrictions of the Commission are disproportionate to the potential risk. We already have other measures in place, sufficient to reduce such risks. We have therefore tabled amendments to delete some of the excessive labelling requirements but also to strengthen references to existing EU laws that protect professional and other users already. Specific requirements already in operation in the UK include adequate information and instruction before starting a job with hazardous materials or techniques. Training also has to make workers aware of the risks of using these products and how to use them safely.

You should be aware, however, that while neither we nor the UK Government support the total prohibition of the professional and consumer use of dichloromethane based products, some of our respective colleagues do. The German, French and Danish Governments, for example, believe that the narcotic effects of DCM are particularly dangerous and that accidents linked to it suggest current measures are not sufficient.

Conservatives will continue, however, to press for a more balanced but safe approach.
This reply is on behalf of all three Conservative MEPs from the West Midlands region.

I'm not sure of my view of this. Banning or not banning hazardous substances is a very complex matter.

If the damage that a substance can cause were restricted to the manufacturers and consumers then cautionary labelling should be adequate without any 'nannying' from government. However, many substances ( and I don't know if DCM is in this category) can cause harm to people and animals (to say nothing of the environment generally)without them being aware of it's presence or use. What happens to the DCM in Nitromors after use? I guess it gets disposed of, along with the paint or varnish it has disolved, in drains, landfill or incineration. Do such disposal methods ensure that the chemical cannot harm the innocent? Is it inert after use or can it still be harmful? What happens to the pretty toxic fumes it releases during use?

If there is any doubt about the hazards of a chemical to the unknowing consumer then a ban may be the best way forward. We always find alternatives.

One thing I am sure of though, is that if sales Nitromors produced a substantial tax revenue, then it would not be banned. It would simply be made to carry warning labels. Two of the most widely used hazardous substances known to man have yet to be banned (though restrictions and warnings are increasing by statute) for this reason alone.

What are they? Alcohol and tobacco of course!!

I dont like the EU, but I suppose it is a necessary evil.
I notice that weed killers I used in the past have all gone from the shelves and have been replaced by new products but they dont seem to be manufactured in the UK, German manufactures seems to benefit from a lot of these EU changes.

Also I dont want to live to 150 years of age, I havent saved enough money :wink:

Back