The EU has now banned Nitromors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MilkyBarKid

Established Member
Reaction score
Time to get your stocks in now before it disappears from the shelves.

I wrote to all my MEP's Lib, Lab and Conservatives; Conservatives replied and told me their intention of voting for an amendment which would allow amateur use, Michael Cashman Lab couldn't be bothered to reply - more interested in gay rights in Strasbourg than his constituents, Libs replied after the vote to say that they had voted for the amateur ban but possible professional use (if the UK applies for a derogation - which it probably won't if past form is anything to go by). Great advert for so called democracy. It's probably just another stitchup like hundreds of others to allow the big German chemical companies to increase profits.

A comonsense compromise like only selling it in 5litre tins supplied with safety glasses, mask, gauntets and specs, wouldn't occur to these dimwits. I@d guess it could probably be done for perhaps £50 instead of the ~£40 such a tin costs at present.

I suppose I'll just have to stock up on trips to Norway or Switzerland.

With a bit of luck this financial crisis might just blow apart the Euro and with it the EU. Maybe some good will come of it. Times like these see the real beggar thy neighbour actions which show that European cooperation and fraternity is just a myth.

MBK

Forgive me for being dumb, but your post makes a lot of assumptions.

Why is banning Nitromors a bad thing? if I remember correctly i's very nasty stuff, and there are alternatives to chemical stripping?

Why does this particularly support German Chemical manufacturers?

Why does the fact the you sent a letter that wasn't successful mean that democracy didn't work?

OK, I don't know a lot about Nitro mors and its alternatives, but I do know it works. When I was forst starting out and asked what to use to strip down some windows, they didn't say "Get paint/varnish stripper", they said "Get Nitro mors!". I think this speaks volumes. Now, what is wrong with the stuff. It ain't that bad if you treat it with respect.

My point is that this stuff was cheap, and did the job. Is there an alternative? And if so, what is it? (Needs to do same thing at same price, please)

Thanks

Neil

PS - If there is no alternative then, in spite of my anger at losing it, it will do NO good to puppy; it never does. We just have to accept that we, and our needs/wishes, do not matter to 'them'.

neilyweely":ri7f7bhi said:
PS - If there is no alternative then, in spite of my anger at losing it, it will do NO good to puppy; it never does. We just have to accept that we, and our needs/wishes, do not matter to 'them'.

But if nobody complains about it, how will "They" know how we feel?

neilyweely":2644xm3y said:
OK, I don't know a lot about Nitro mors and its alternatives, but I do know it works. When I was forst starting out and asked what to use to strip down some windows, they didn't say "Get paint/varnish stripper", they said "Get Nitro mors!". I think this speaks volumes. Now, what is wrong with the stuff. It ain't that bad if you treat it with respect.

My point is that this stuff was cheap, and did the job. Is there an alternative? And if so, what is it? (Needs to do same thing at same price, please)

Thanks

Neil

Doing a bit of background reading (away from the Daily Mail) it appears that Methylene chloride bases strippers have been responsible for quite a few deaths.

The advantage of Methylene chloride is that it's almost a universal stripper. There are other products which are about as effective, but not as universal, which means you need to stock more kinds of stripper, and work out which one to use.

BugBear

bugbear":3kmxczgh said:
Doing a bit of background reading (away from the Daily Mail) it appears that Methylene chloride bases strippers have been responsible for quite a few deaths.

BugBear

There have been quite a few deaths from people drowning in rivers, but they haven't banned those...yet!

There are countless chemicals and products out there that are potentially fatal if you don't excersie suitable precautions, this just smacks of nannying to me.

Those few deaths have generally occurred with industrial users who use MC stripper in immersion tanks. This ban is targetted at the retail and commercial sector where there have been very few incidents reported. The possible alternative products are more flammable and in many ways more dangerous.

It's no surprise that 90% of all paint strippers are based on Methylene Chloride because it works the best and has done for years. Obviously we have vested interests but surely common sense should prevail?

Anyway it's not been banned yet ....I'm off to write to my MEP.

Ian

Without wanting to rock the boat too much, it's quite possible that the driver behind the restrictions might be that if you use the stuff then all of the methylene chloride is released into the air (it is a volatile chlorinated solvent after all). In situations like this industrial uses are often still OK, because in the UK the HSE will regulate their use. Private uses are unregulated, so are more likely to be a target for marketing and use restrictions. Basically, in some situations M&U restrictions are the only effective means of control for some pollutants. We can probably expect to see more of this type of stuff as chemicals are registered under REACH in Europe.

Besides, if they can save a few billion in hospital bills from people not having been exposed to these chemicals then is it such a bad thing after all?

Methylene Dichloride is a carcinogen, of the "if we knew then what we know now we wouldn't have used it" variety. Unfortunately the media appear to vary between mild and psychotic aversion to anything "european". Even the BBC, not often behind the Daily Mail, is fond of referring to EU decisions as if the UK has had no part in them. As a result the rationale for the decision is never broadcast or printed. Here in the SW, Cornwall has had millions from the EU for serious infrastructure development, but it is never mentioned. I suppose too may people love a bent bannana stories, conveniently forgetting that our fruit and veg was graded before the EU was even thought of. At least the current exchange rates have quietened the Euro detractors!

I would imagine in the present climate (no pun intended) VOC regulations will become more strict so it'll be waterbased to the fore unless VOC recovery is possible (ie industrial scale only)

Edit: somehow this got posted twice - didn't mean to shout!

Methylene Dichloride is a carcinogen, of the "if we knew then what we know now we wouldn't have used it" variety. Unfortunately the media appear to vary between mild and psychotic aversion to anything "european". Even the BBC, not often behind the Daily Mail, is fond of referring to EU decisions as if the UK has had no part in them. As a result the rationale for the decision is never broadcast or printed. Here in the SW, Cornwall has had millions from the EU for serious infrastructure development, but it is never mentioned. I suppose too may people love a bent bannana stories, conveniently forgetting that our fruit and veg was graded before the EU was even thought of. At least the current exchange rates have quietened the Euro detractors!

I would imagine in the present climate (no pun intended) VOC regulations will become more strict so it'll be waterbased to the fore unless VOC recovery is possible (ie industrial scale only)

Come on Ivan, two well-considered thoughtful posts in a row in a thread like this is far enough beyond the pale, without trying to stretch it to three with a bit of repetition.

MilkyBarKid":yd6x8ptu said:
A comonsense compromise like only selling it in 5litre tins supplied with safety glasses, mask, gauntets and specs, wouldn't occur to these dimwits. I@d guess it could probably be done for perhaps £50 instead of the ~£40 such
MBK

Common sense approach??? really? :shock:

I wonder how many people use 5 litres of nitromors in their lifetime?

500ml lasts me several years!

Back