Etymology

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

János

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

The blade holder of Bailey pattern bench planes is called "frog" in English. Does anybody know, how could this have happened? I find this name quite mysterious, as the aforementioned part does not resemble a real frog at all.

Have a nice day,

János

I thought it did look vaguely frog shaped - a triangular lump tapering towards the top, crouched between the sides of the plane. My money is on the actual frog!

Hello,

I understand what you have mean: in a side view it very, very loosely and vaguely resembles a crouching frog, maybe... All my fault, I associate "frog" with something like this:
th.jpg

Or the Brazilian dart frog, maybe:
bap.jpg

Have a nice day,

János

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 1,367
  • bap.jpg
    bap.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 1,367
Hello,

And Leonard Bailey... was he himself the godfather? Or was the name given by the journeymen? After some drink, perhaps...

Have a nice day,

János

The device that attaches a bayonet scabbard to your belt is also called a frog.

Even that font of all knowledge on the English Language - the Oxford English Dictionary - doesn't mention this sense of the noun "frog", let alone it's etymology. I've submitted it as a new sense : wait 10 years and you'll probably find this thread cited! Meanwhile, I'm with Jacob - shape of the crouching amphibian.

Dear Jacob,

Forgive me, but I am a little bit overloaded with the different spellings of greco-roman words in the different European languages. In my mother tongue, we write/spell the Greek word "etymología" as "etimológia". In German it is "etymologie", in French "étymologie", and "etymology" in English. I lose control of this "orderly chaos" at times. :)

Have a nice day,

János

So if it's not in the OED is the field really open for us to find the earliest recorded use? A Bailey patent perhaps? A Stanley catalogue? I've no idea!

phil.p":ta31593t said:
Anima":ta31593t said:
The device that attaches a bayonet scabbard to your belt is also called a frog.
As is the wire/steel device steel erectors wear on the belt to carry spanners, now I think about it.
As is part of a set of railway points (or "turnout" if Americanisms are allowed). It's the part where two rails "cross" over each other forming a triangular or Vee shape.

I wonder if that's related to the triangular or Vee shape of a woodplane frog?

Cheers, Vann.

Hello,

I have searched Leonard Bailey and Stanley patents. What I have found so far:

ppj.jpg

Have a nice day,

János

Attachments

• ppj.jpg
    ppj.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 1,184
Hello,

Two other patents describe the Bedrock style frog, and the standard Bailey frog, but these call it "knife carrier".

The US536746, applied in 1895 by Traut, Justus E.
The US545732, applied in 1895 by Schade, Edmund A.

I am quite sure now, that the use of the term "frog" to denote the "knife carrier" (which it is, in fact) was a "Stanleyizm"... the bloody Americans... "commonly termed a frog".... as we call it. :wink:

"Knife carrier" was not sexy enough for the marketing dept, I suspect.

Have a nice day,

János

János":z0raw4pz said:
Hello,

Two other patents describe the Bedrock style frog, and the standard Bailey frog, but these call it "knife carrier".

The US536746, applied in 1895 by Traut, Justus E.
The US545732, applied in 1895 by Schade, Edmund A.

I am quite sure now, that the use of the term "frog" to denote the "knife carrier" (which it is, in fact) was a "Stanleyizm"... the bloody Americans... "commonly termed a frog".... as we call it. :wink:

"Knife carrier" was not sexy enough for the marketing dept, I suspect.

Have a nice day,

János

The shape of older bayonet frogs may help explain, as they do look similar to the top view of a frog.

frog_14.JPG

Thankfully we no longer use the latin name for knife/sword sheath or scabbard, because it would get us into all sorts of trouble with the fairer sex. :oops:

Hello,

Dear Gary, the vaginarius was a respected craftsman in old Britain.

Perhaps my imagination is not keen enough,

pl.jpg

but this lump of cast iron is neither "frogish", nor "scabbardish", so to speak.

The boys at Stanley invented the movable "knife carrier" in 1895, and in 1902 they said it was "commonly termed a frog".

It would be great to find the firs appearance of the use of "frog", I am sure it appeared in an early printed advert.

Have a nice day,

János

Attachments

• pl.jpg
    pl.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 966
I already knew scabbard makers were highly valued by those owning knives and swords :D

Frog

small-tree-frog.jpg

Frog

frog.jpg

Unsure which is which :lol:

So does anyone know why the indentation in house bricks are referred to as frogs? It seems to me these amphibians get around a bit. And if you have one of those small planes that fit snugly in the hand, would the corresponding part be a tadpole?

K

graduate_owner":e34lx017 said:
So does anyone know why the indentation in house bricks are referred to as frogs? It seems to me these amphibians get around a bit. And if you have one of those small planes that fit snugly in the hand, would the corresponding part be a tadpole?

K

The mould used when making frogged house bricks is shaped to form a hollow which saves clay during the brickmaking process. In the Netherlands the central element of the mould - which forms the hollow - is called kikker. When translated to English it means frog. :wink:

Tadpole planes should never be taken from the wild, due to their growing scarcity. If ever you happen to see a tadpole plane for sale on evilbay, or elsewhere, please report the seller asap to the "Tadpoles In Trouble Society" and they'll hop, skip and jump at the chance to prosecute.

Back