Endgrain jointed chopping boards.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakay

Established Member
Reaction score
These trendy chopping boards seem to break traditional jointing rules. No sign of finger-jointing. What do you think, will they last the test of time, or fail? It is a testament to the abilities of modern adhesives...but even so, I am doubtful of longevity.
1637957482918.png

1637957567017.png

Must say that ad is a bit misleading saying end grain the way it does.
"With special end grain" it will come up when someone searches for end grain chopping boards, but they’re not of course. Ian

Are these hobby people or do people make a living making chopping blocks. Must be dull work.

If its not chucked in the dishwasher or left in a puddle it should be fine I'd imagine. Looks nice.

In the US that kind of thing seems to cost a fortune.
Are these hobby people or do people make a living making chopping blocks. Must be dull work.
Some people do. If you can spend a week making enough boards to make a months income (as some people are making boards for like $250+) it seems a sensible thing to do. Bang on a podcast and get on with it and enjoy the other 3 weeks of the month doing what we you like.

Skinner Designs, they are lovely chopping boards you make. You are not joining endgrain so no problem.

I've had one in use for 10+ years. Over an inch thick, weighs a ton. No sign of wear, certainly
no cracks in glue lines. This one should be good for my great grandchildren. I'll be passing it
on when it gets too heavy to lift!

Very smart indeed, I suppose a planer thicknesser is really required to get all the blocks identical in size, and then its just glue?
Steve.

I've had one in use for 10+ years. Over an inch thick, weighs a ton. No sign of wear, certainly
no cracks in glue lines. This one should be good for my great grandchildren. I'll be passing it
on when it gets too heavy to lift!
Is yours glued on the end grains or is it an end-grain chopping board?

I think some people are missing my point. Look closely at the second of the original images. The herring-bone pattern chopping board is not an end-grain board, the joints themselves are at the end-grains, although the opposing angles will help a little. I suppose there could be some hidden biscuits or loose tongues in grooves, stopped at the ends, which would make it strong.

The YouTube vid, ‘Coolest Cutting Board Ever’, with Scotty Lewis, the Canadian guy is worth a browse. Nice musical score too.

The reason you don’t glue endgrain is the glue isn’t as strong as a continuous piece of wood. The reason you do glue edge grain is the glue is stronger than the wood, so you’ve lost nothing.

That’s all there is to it.

Chopping boards are generally not used for load bearing applications. They are used for loaf bearing applications and all the above look like they will do that fine.

watched Scotty's vid......shame about the music....if that's what it was.....
bit like Jazz, u never know if it's a bum note....hahaha...
sorry Mark....

Latest posts

Back