EMCO Maximat V13 Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpy6165

Reaction score
I have a model that is about 20 years old and hardly been used. The lathe has been moved several times and is in need for a small service and some minor electrical repairs i.e. chuck runs in the wrong direction and the whole lathe cuts out when the chuck guard is raised.

Does anybody know of any small companies or retired engineers that can undetake this within Essex. The lathe is located within a school and I have been quoted upto £600/day to call out a dedicated eengineer This sum is a long way outside of our budget.

The intention is to get the lathe repaired and in use this summer for use by students next September after it has met PUWER regulations etc.

wizard":e5wfh5rz said:
"chuck runs in the wrong direction"
There should be a reverse switch

If there is no reverse switch then the phases (live & neutral) are connected back to front in the plug or machine.

Just had a look if it this machine

$T2eC16J,!zoE9s5ndzcFBRl3tB78BQ~~60_35.JPG

Than what i said about the direction is correct

Also £600 sounds about right for it there is a lot of parts to take off and put back together

Just to clarify the lathe has an Acurmat x,y,z digital controller on top that loses power when the chuck guard is lifted. This involves having to reboot the whole lathe every-time to reuse it. Any idea what causes this?

MMUK":314no40o said:
wizard":314no40o said:
"chuck runs in the wrong direction"
There should be a reverse switch

If there is no reverse switch then the phases (live & neutral) are connected back to front in the plug or machine.

Swapping wires only works on three phase machines, will have no effect if this has a single phase motor. There should be a reverse switch. For reference to reverse a single phase motor usually requires opening up the motor and swapping connections inside.

The micro switch on the chuck guard is wired in series with the stop switch on the contactor. Its likely that there are other micro switches on the lathe, boxford also switch the door to the motor compartment and the guard over the change gears amongst other points. Power for the DRO should be picked up from the live side of the contactor. Would think that unless there has been a lot of fiddleing with the wiring a couple of hours at best to sort.

Hope you can get it sorted.

Steve

p.s.
promised a neighbour yesterday would help sort the wiring out on his Myford he serviced the mechanics and didn't keep detailed records of where all the wires go.

The lathe is a three phase machine. So switching the wires should work. As for the chuck guard problem I guess its best to open the lathe and have a look at it.

Many thanks for all your help.

Back