embroidery pin box for the wife

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
The wife needs a larger pin box to replace her plastic freebie she has had many years.
So my first attempt at a glue up a couple of days ago failed because of low temperatures, so this time its back to the kitchen for the glue ups.

I'm wanting to make this a lightweight box so reducing side thicknesses down to around 4mm and less at a later time when box has been made.

So used double sided carpet tape on some MDF and had no trouble getting Br. Mahog. down to 4mm.

preparing1w.jpg

preparing2w.jpg

Then I cut into 35mm strips on the tablesaw using a 60t blade.

preparing3w.jpg

Prepared a former from some 4x2" covered with cling film and glued up the strips on to a thick base (for now)

pinbox2w.jpg

Took into kitchen to set glue.

pinbox1w-1.jpg

When the glue had set I had trouble getting the box off the former, so I put in some 2" screws.

pinbox3w.jpg

Got the former out by clamping the screws in the vice and dragging off.

pinbox4w.jpg

Brought box base back into kitchen for next 24 hours and then will do a clean up.

pinbox5w.jpg

Will start to prepare for the lid next and at the same time I am struggling to prepare timber for the next project a chevron box.

I like the idea of using a former DW. It really simplifies box making. No joints - the glue will be strong enough. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

regards

Brian

The reason for no joints is because the timber is coming down to around 3mm, finger joints could be done and might be tried at a later date.

What wood are you using for this? I've not used any woods which maintain their strength when they're so thin.

This one is Br.Mahogany, the domino box previously was Sycamore.
I did loose a piece of sycamore last time in the thicknesser but all pieces in B.Mah are between 4mm and 10 mm at the moment.

Had trouble with glue again today, the first on the lid failed, second go looks as if it will be OK but a lot cleaning up to do.

Used a fan heater played on the lid to get glue to set plus clamps and weights.

6w-3.jpg

Removed the lid from the box base which has been sealed with polythene to stop glue holding everything together.

7w-2.jpg

Polythene off the base section and first showing of the lid which has a separator added with Ash & Wenge through the centre of lid, partly to decorate and also to create a wider lid top than base so lid can slide over.

8w-3.jpg

The first picture shows the box glued up and ready to go through the thicknesser to thin down base and lid from 10mm to 7mm.
Kept my fingers crossed.

9w-3.jpg

Pleased to say it was a success and no problems.

10w-3.jpg

Partitions added and glued up in kitchen.

11w-3.jpg

Leaves the insides to be lined and a shellac & wax finish outside tomorrow.

Thats going to look fabulous. Can I just ask why you like to plane everything down as thin as possible?

Is it aesthetics or a weight issue?

Is the weight difference noticeable?

Or is it just that you like the really delicate looking boxes?

Latest posts

Back