ELU Router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckypip

Reaction score
I want to try my hand at routing and have been offered an ELU MKF 67 and also a MOF 96e.
Could someone please advise me as to which one to buy ? I only at this time intend to learn how to use a router with light work, nothing too heavy !
Will these two take the same collets and do they have a plunge facility ? Can they also be fitted upside down into a table ?
Any advice appreciated
Cheers

i would go with the of 96e. it does plunge and can be fitted to a table. it takes a 1/4 and 8mm collet- this may be a bit small for a table router, but if you are only doing light work, may be ok. I would get it- you won't lose money of you sell elu stuff on, as long as you don't overpay. If you need one for a table, it is handy to have on that you use handheld, and save keep taking t out of the table.

Not sure on the MKF67. Appears to be an offset router but I can't find much info.

96e is a brilliant router IMO. Had one 20 years and all it's needed is bearings and brushes.

+4 on going for the 96E
They are great routers, beautifully engineered and lovely to use.
There's still a good range of accessories around that fit them, so you won't be stuck unable to buy things like guide bushes etc.
Elu made a useful little router table for the 96 series that you might find on eBay if you're lucky too, although you can make your own too.
As marcos says they'll hold their value well. It's still possible to get most spare parts for them. On eBay they now sell for more than they were new!

Yep MOF96E, I have been using one handheld and in a homemade table for close to 20 years. It's easy and inexpensive to change the bearings and brushes if you need to, I wrote a paper on it.

Elu I think invented the plunge router, German manufacturer.

Was taken over by dewalt, who do basically same machine, dw615 in a subtle shade of yellow.

Very good machine.

Oops!

yes Switzerland :D

Although quite probably China these days, for the glow in the dark ones

yep my Mof 96e is still going strong just a set of bearings after nearly 30 years and agreed the Swiss made is best.

Bob

Latest posts

Back