Elu MOF96

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superkopite

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals

This is my first post on these boards...

I have read a lot of threads already and have learnt so much!!!

I need some advice. I need to get a router. All i need it for at the moment is trenching into plywood. I have seen an ELU MOF96 second hand but in good condition for £70, seems like a good deal?

What do you think?

Cheers

James

PS, Thanks for having me!

Hi James,

Welcome to the forum.:D

I don't have an Elu but there are a number of members who do, I think they are held in high regard, someone will probably be along to confirm this shortly.

James the Elu is a good router but it probably is fairly old. I have owned one from new and looked after it but still the top bearing was knackered and I had to replace it and the lower one. So check the bearings by turning the shaft by hand and listen to it run up to speed if it sounds laboured it is. If you feel some play on the lower bearing don't be too put off as these bearings are "c3" rated with a bit of "play" built in due to the speed and load they will be under. Oh and is it 96e or 96 if it's not electronic softstart I think I would be a bit wary.

Welcome Alan

Thanks guys...

It is infact only the MOF96 and not the electronic start model. Shame.

What should i be looking for then, i have a budget of up to around £150, don't really want to spend it all if i don't have to, but if i do hey that's life!

Like i said all I want it for at the moment is trenching 18mm trenches into veneered plywood.

Cheers

james

Hi James,

Welcome to the forum. I've had an Elu MOF96 for years. I bought it some time in the 1970s and it's still going strong - all I've ever had to do is change the carbon brushes.

Router1.jpg

It was one of the best routers ever made. However, if you are going to buy a very old, second-hand one as Alan says, make sure it's OK before you part with your money. £70 seems rather a lot for a router that is very old - I might be inclined to put that towards a new one.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Hiya

I have seen that model...

I think it may be a bit heavy and combersome for my needs, if i can get away with a smaller machine then would much rather that.

I have an Elu 96E had it from new its the blue button one not the orange so was one of the last ones made. Had it for about 15 or more years and its still going strong in my opinion they are one of the best routers made.

I have a Trend T5 and a Dewalt dw626 and build quality is nowhere near the Elu.

I got my first router when I was about 13 or 14 I think, my brother got me a black & Decker one for christmas.

The Elu is the grand-daddy of all routers.

But £70 is steep, offer £25 and you'll get a bargain. Make sure it comes with fence and fine height adjuster, useless without. No soft start, either - big minus.

Lots of manufacturers have based their models on it, the Trend being the best known. It's not the quality of the original, but it's not the price either. My first router, an original MOF96, cost me £120, IIRC, in about 1984. I still have it, I've replace the bearings, but the motor has a dead spot now, so it's not really that attractive to use. Fixing the motor would cost more than a new router of the same design :(

Cheers
Steve

thanks for all of the responses guys....

I think i might try my luck and trawl around all my local B&Q's and see if i find a bargain Triton!

I've got an old (but in mint condition) 96e, really nice router and very well made. If you go for the 96 definitely get the electronic control version.

Having said that I also bought the smaller Triton recently and although it is a personal thing I far prefer the wind-down style plunging mechanism. No matter how smooth the plunge action I always found the push down plunge type routers "sticky" in their action and less predictable than the action on the Tritons. Also have the option to use 1/2" bits (even on the smaller Triton) as well and the smaller Triton can handle worktops with a few passes.

Hi James. I have two Elu 96E routers and they are the dogs whatsits. I bought one of mine off e-bay last year and it was brand new in the box. I am sure that only cost me around £70 too. It was one of the models made in Italy and as far as I am aware they are still being made there too. Just keep your eyes peeled and you may bag one. Failing that If you really are desperate and need a good router then I can recommend the De Walt 615 which is a very good router and almost comparable to the Elu 96E which it was modelled on. HTH. :wink:

mailee":1udxuxm1 said:
Hi James. I have two Elu 96E routers and they are the dogs whatsits. I bought one of mine off e-bay last year and it was brand new in the box. I am sure that only cost me around £70 too. It was one of the models made in Italy and as far as I am aware they are still being made there too. Just keep your eyes peeled and you may bag one. Failing that If you really are desperate and need a good router then I can recommend the De Walt 615 which is a very good router and almost comparable to the Elu 96E which it was modelled on. HTH. :wink:

Mailee you say it was brand new in the box thats weird that someone would have one still in the box after all this time. They stopped making them at least ten years ago I think.

Mailee you say it was brand new in the box thats weird that someone would have one still in the box after all this time. They stopped making them at least ten years ago I think.

Hi Chipp. Yes it was brand new. As far as I know they are still made in Italy but not to the same high quality as the original Elu's.

IMHO the Trend isn't a patch on the Elu. I have both of these in my collection and have to admit that the Trend T5 is pretty rough compared to the Elu's. Plunge is not so smooth, rougher castings, Phenolic baseplate is bonded on! Need I say more? I have a rather large collecion of routers and given the choice I wouldn't buy the Trend again. :roll:

Mailee, I'd agree with you. But I have to admit would I want to pay 1984 equavalent prices for a router today? No I wouldn't.

In 1984 my house was worth about 20K. Today the same house is worth £130K. By the same reckoning, a 96 would cost £780!

OK so house inflation is higher than "normal" inflation. In 1984 my salary was £6.5K as a computer support engineer. Today a similar job commands, what, £20K? That's a guess, I've been out of IT for quite a while now, but it must be in the right ball park. By that reckoning a 96 would cost £360.

I know I'm playing devil's advocate here, but one of the reasons the Elus were so good is that they were so darn expensive. There was little if any competition, and as the comp has grown prices have been forced down. "Hooray" we all say, but as we all seem to agree, it's quality that suffers. Good routers are still available, and everyone (including me) grumbles at the price of them.

:?
S

The T5 is absolute rubbish I have had 2 now and have now given up using it and gone back to my Elu.

I payed £185 for my MOF96E and it was the top one at the time with all the kit in a grey metal box. I think it was about 15 years ago maybe more.

Like Steve was saying they were quiet expensive tools for their time. I imagine if they were going now they would be equal to Festool in price, so you cant really compare them to Trend.

Only problem with it is the base is wonky where I dropped it just after having it fully serviced DAMN.

Anyone with a spare base they don't need ?

Back