Elu 1251 saw, burnt out switch problem. Advice appreciated.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeyS1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,
Recently sold a Elu 1251 radial arm saw to a friend. He had a few months use from it, then it stopped working. When i use to use it,if the saw was worked too hard it would stop. Think this was some sort of built in protection. I've traced the fault to the switch. By bypassing the switch the saw fires up as normal.
e349dd86.jpg

0fcfa54c.jpg

I've looked around for a replacement one for him but they want £92 for a replacement :shock:

My question is, can i just wire up any old 240v switch, or does it need to be this exact one? Is the orange coily bit on the switch, the overload cutoff bit?

Thanks

Simon

Thanks alot katellwood :eek:ccasion5: Looks like it should be a straight swap :eek: Please tell me you didnt just google it ?

Thanks again

Simon

I find that for virtually anything I want to buy it is worth looking at ebay.
Even if it just sets expectations on price and availability.
You can search previous sales to work out who is a regular seller of what you need etc.

Bob

My pleasure

The switch on my dewalt went in the middle of an important job, direct wired it via the wall switch to complete the job,

I've subsequently brought a 600mm crosscut version (my original one is 400mm crosscut) so not changed the switch yet, however did a search on ebay and found the above (incidently there are two others on the bay however I think they are from the same supplier)

Let me know how you get on replacing your switch

Regards

Just a quick update. The switch you suggested arrived
c4e63903.jpg

Looked bang on the same shape.Connections were also the same, so like for like swap.
f68e1feb.jpg

The saw fired up straight after so all is well again.Thanks for saving me a few £'s Katellwood

I find that for virtually anything I want to buy it is worth looking at ebay.
I have to agree Bob. Its a very usefull tool so long as you can resist buying everything that jumps out at you :lol:

Simon

hi im hoping your still about and will get this, yours is the only link i can find online at all, about rewiring the switchs up, only problem is, when looking at the last pic i cant see where the cables form the capasitator goto and which ones goto the switch properly, i have tryed to to do but all im getting is the saw doing a slight rocking motion, been at this for 2weeks now cracking up, hope you can help me many thanks lins

I thought I would add to this thread as I struggled to find a replacement switch for my old Elu 1251 RAS which I acquired recently. I missed the reference to the replacement connector part number in the 'broken' link above. I contacted Schurter only to be told there was a 38 week lead-time to order a part via one of their distributors.

So, the original 5.0A switch for the Elu 1251 RAS is a "Weber Unimat WTN 22-555" which as we know is is discontinued.

The DeWalt DW1251 RAS, OEM replacement switch is the "DeWALT 861385-04", which is a single pole, thermal overload protection switch with undervoltage protection. This DeWalt replacement is the Schurter TA45-AHFWF070U3 switch shown in the picture above, posted by ColeyS1 in 2009. Although this replacement switch is rated at 7.0A, that is what DeWalt specify as the replacement for their DW1251 saw.

FYI, this undervoltage protection is an important safety feature because if you have a power cut, start fiddling with the blade or workpiece and the power then comes back on again this feature will stop the saw from spinning up and chopping your fingers off.

See the link to the Schurter datasheet below.
https://www.schurter.com/en/datasheet/typ_TA45_2_pole_Rocker.pdf
Elu 1251 Switch Part Numbers:
Original: Weber Unimat WTN 22-555 (--> Discontinued)
DeWalt replacement: DeWALT 861385-04, on ebay today (June 2022) for £63.75, delivered.
Schurter: Configuration Code TA45-AHFWF070U3, but Schurter part number when ordering from them is 4430.2193.

Good evending,

For nostalgia, I’m trying to get my late father’s dw1251 radial arm saw working. Electrics aren’t my specialty but I’ve replaced the switch as described on this thread and the saw isn’t working.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Back