Elmo the Mole

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scouse

Established Member
Reaction score
Prompted by a post on the general woodwork bit I thought I would put up a couple of pictures of a recent renovation of a hand grinder. Thrilling, I hear you say, but there is a twist in the tail, so stay with it.

As it arrived, complete with a pedal from a Raleigh Shopper as a handle
ElmoGrinder001.jpg

A bit manky...
ElmoGrinder005.jpg

I like the way the clamp is integrated into the body design...
ElmoGrinder004.jpg

More grease than something with quite a lot of grease. It was proper grease too, with the consistency of black treacle. It got everywhere...
ElmoGrinder009.jpg

Much scraping later...
ElmoGrinder010.jpg

Superior chemical knowledge allowed me to dominate the grease
ElmoGrinder011.jpg

Back together, but without the pedal
ElmoGrinder013.jpg

NOW, here's the question, actually more of a spot the difference
ElmoGrinder014.jpg

Did you see?

Why would a company produce the same item with 2 different names? I'm guessing one is later than the other, but there is precious little about the Mole company online, aside from odd mentions about M.K. Mole and Company of the 'grips' fame. I have seen mole grips also branded as 'Elmo' too. Anyone know why? Told you it would be thrilling... :shock:

Trademark dispute?

They look pretty good either way. Just a small suggestion, they need grinding wheels before they're more than shelf decorations. :twisted:

I just wish the one I found here wasn't so gummed up with rust.

Said on the side "Made in Occupied Japan" :shock:

Dangermouse":1h0ovc19 said:
Looks like a nice bit of kit, did you manage to get a handle for it?

Not yet, I bought an old meat grinder/mincer at a car boot for £1 that looked like it had a handle that would fit in the short term, but it turned out that it was a collectors item itself, so I'm still looking!

bugbear":1h0ovc19 said:
I note your choice of scraping tools :) (nice grinder, and a good question, BTW. IIRC Alf has a "Mole" grinder)

The grease was almost set solid, so I had to go with what I could find! With a bit of luck Alf will pop up at some point!

Schtoo":1h0ovc19 said:
Just a small suggestion, they need grinding wheels before they're more than shelf decorations. :twisted:

Give us a chance! Only just finished when I took the photo!

I pop, but to no good effect; I have no idea. I like the trademark dispute thought, or something along those lines. Maybe a disgruntled "Mole" left in a huff (or a minute and a huff) and set up in fairly recognisable competition? Bit like Leonard Bailey and the "Victor" line of planes.

S'good grinder, the "Mole"; certainly one of the better designed clamping arrangements. A place near here had half a dozen incomplete ones a coupla years ago and I still kick myself for not at least enquiring what they wanted for the lot, for spares as much as anything else.

It's perfectly obvious why the two names when you think about it...

One is for the Spanish market and the other for Australia! :mrgreen: #-o

Ok....coat on its way.... :oops:

Jim

jimi43":2pre1yop said:

Okay, so maybe I'm a bit slow, but which is which?

Cheers, Vann - from New Zealand, not Australia :!: (and: yes, there is a difference) :)

I got a few theories Re: name difference.

1. Was a Friday afternoon/Monday morning, employee out of haste/sore head got the dies messed up.

2. Dies manufacture was outsourced to China, lack of understanding of the English language :p

3. Its a Khyber pass/Afghan knockoff! :p Let me explain, I used to be, and still am to some degree interested in the Lee Enfield series of rifles, now, everyso often a rifle would appear on US forum that looked like an Enfield, but wasnt an Enfield, but a 'Khyber Pass' knockoff made out of scrap metal or whatever was lying about easily identified by the strange markings and mis-spellings, ie 'Enfield' spelt 'Enflied' and some of the letters backward, or upside down, or 'V.R. 1906' (Queen Victoria, 1906?!! :roll: ) They tried I guess.....

Hey, they're just ideas! :oops:

(very much tounge in cheek :D)

Vann":3sy5183q said:
jimi43":3sy5183q said:

Okay, so maybe I'm a bit slow, but which is which?

Cheers, Vann - from New Zealand, not Australia :!: (and: yes, there is a difference) :)

Well...El Mo is obviously Spanish and Mole is from down under! :mrgreen:

That covers most of the antipodes don't it Vann?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink:

Jim

jimi43":23wnof1f said:
Well...El Mo is obviously Spanish and Mole is from down under!

#-o (homer)

Well, apparently if one was to tunnel from New Zealand through the very centre of the earth (and not get burnt in the molten core) one would emerge in Spain - so - any for the NZ market would have to be marked El-mole :mrgreen:

jimi43":23wnof1f said:
That covers most of the antipodes don't it Vann?
Yes but we hate being thrown in with the Aussies. We are different (hell, at least we still know how to spell colour and labour. (hammer) )

Cheers, Vann.

Hi Vann...only joshin' with ya mate! I know there is a huge difference...and I would personally like to attach electric thingies to the nether regions of the guy (with egg on his face) who sold New Zealand down the river as an import partner in favour of the EU!

I miss the lamb with the red (or was it blue) writing "NEW ZEALAND LAMB" on it...a sure badge of superb quality. And don't get me started on butter!

But...back to regular programming!

Jim

jimi43":4jlzw3dy said:
Hi Vann...only joshin' with ya mate!
Tis okay Jim. I knew the whole thread had degenerated into joshing. That comment was just me poking the borax at the Aussies (no offence Derek - you're not a real Aussie anyway).

Dammit where's me coat? I think Scouse has made off with it...

Cheers, Vann.

I reckon the moulder or die-sinker, was a crossword fanatic, and he was drunk when he made the first mole(d)
Either that or the one is an Eastern rip-off of the other!

John :mrgreen: :wink:

Hmmm Seems Croppy got the same idea before me! :lol:

Elmo was renamed to Mole.

I have one of the ',Mole' grinders with original label which reads "Mole, formerly Elmo"

"Facknell!" ** Is this a new record for mummified threads being revived?

** Alan Coren (still sadly missed) in Punch! magazine (no, it wasn't about cage-fighting Nigel)....

Back