Elm slab table, live edge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racers":3iakwhur said:
Steve1066":3iakwhur said:
mseries":3iakwhur said:
have you soaked them in cuprinol too ?
No cuprionl here. Just Linseed and Tung oil ?

I think he is referring to the greenish tinge the oak has, looks like the white balance has been fooled by the mixed lighting.

Pete

yep, they look green. I realise it's just a trick of the light :lol:

Racers":z3b5wa5m said:
Steve1066":z3b5wa5m said:
You could be right, but it was late and dark and I don't own a digital camera any more, so it was the phone or the Pentax 67 and some chrome.
The phone won.

Wow a Pentax 67! that's a beast!

Pete
My baby's

beganasatree":hzr29vza said:
Hi Steve,
Thanks for this post.The top is looking good(understatement) I have an ash dinning set and have a notion to replace the top with a slab of Ash and strip the legs,chairs,ect.,and recover the chairs.Thank you for the motivation.

Peter.
I imagine the timber mill in Scotland have some lovely slabs in all sorts of wonderfully local woods.
I was quite lucky in the Elm tree that my slab came from was brought down in the storms a couple of years ago in the next town over, it wel over 300 hundred years old. It's nice to know a bit of the history of such a old tree, and it wasn't just cut down for no good reason.

Steve1066":3fu7d1j8 said:
Racers":3fu7d1j8 said:
Steve1066":3fu7d1j8 said:
You could be right, but it was late and dark and I don't own a digital camera any more, so it was the phone or the Pentax 67 and some chrome.
The phone won.

Wow a Pentax 67! that's a beast!

Pete
My baby's

Drool....

Pete

Well it all done and I am quite happy with the way it turned out.
Finished in Coloroll finishing polish and then waxed

And the grain in the oak base is gorgeous.

And as a little bones this turned up to day. :) Stanley rules and level co. No 7 corrugated jack plane

Lovely table, and nice plane.

I made a table just before Christmas and a year later 4 chairs, then a couple of years later another two.

Pete

Racers":3mo7e1ef said:
Lovely table, and nice plane.

I made a table just before Christmas and a year later 4 chairs, then a couple of years later another two.

Pete
Thank Pete, the chairs are planed for the new year,
Have you got any photos I would be interested to see what you did.

How did you go about treating the live edge?

I ask because I have a number of nice air dried slabs of sycamore to build some floating shelves from but want to keep the live edge.

Will

will1983":1smpu64z said:

I ask because I have a number of nice air dried slabs of sycamore to build some floating shelves from but want to keep the live edge.

Will

Second that request for a little more info on the live edge prep, I have a slab of sycamore flattened for a coffee table but wondering how to do the edges.

F.

Peel off the bark and a light sand, if its a burr and had fluffy stuff a good wire brush will get into the pips and polish up the edge.

Pete

Fitzroy":1yaq4jpy said:
will1983":1yaq4jpy said:

Will

Second that request for a little more info on the live edge prep, I have a slab of sycamore flattened for a coffee table but wondering how to do the edges.

F.
Spockshave , chisel, block plane , wier brush, darwe knife. I just sort of fill my way. Take it slow little bit at a time till your happy that it stable enough to take a finish. In my case linseed oil and wax.

Back