Elm slab table, live edge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve1066

Established Member
Reaction score
So Christmas is coming and we need a new dinning room table, so instead of doing the easy thing of buying one.
" that's alright sweaty I will make you one " off to the timber mill we go and much to my delight they have just taken out of the Kilme some Beautiful Elm slabs.

Time to sharpen up the planes. Started with the no6 fore on to the no5 jack then the no62 low angle.
Gave is a wash with some linseed oil so I could see how we were looking.
If you look at the photo you can see some tear out were the timber is quarter sawn as the slad is from the centre of the tree.

I then left it for a couple of days for the oil to evaporate and to decide on the finished size,cleaning up the edges and filling the shake down the middle of the board with some liquid glass which is basically a epoxy resin.
Then a bit more planing no62 low angle, no4 smother. And a cabinet scraper, two more coats of linseed oil let it rest for another two days then started with the sanding 240grit 320grit finishing with 500grit.
It now on it 5 coat of Coloroll finishing oil.

Now it's time to go back to the timber mill and get some nice Oak for the legs.
Hope you like it so far
Many thanks Steve

Very nice, I hope you get it done in time!

Pete

Looking really good. Did you feel it needed sanding after planing?

Not after planing. But between the linseed oil and the Coloroll finishing oil. I will all so sand between every third coat or so with some 800 grit.
Many thanks Steve

Don't let the other half catch you calling her sweaty.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Hi Peter after much discussion with the wife we have decided to go with simple straight legs. The idea being not to distract from the top of the table. funnily enough I milling the legs as we type.

Putting a plain square edge on before useing the rail saw so to square up the other two faces, I was going to do it all by hand but I'm just so busy at the moment I would not have the time to get it done by Christmas

For goodness sake Steve, don't call her 'sweaty' call her 'sweetie' or else you will be sleeping in the shed.

Andy

A little up date. The legs are on

The metal plate our temporary.
I will be fixing the top down with wooden buttons That will hook in to a rebate on the skirt.

I think you might have put the legs on the wrong side.

:wink: :D

Pete

Looking good!

Looking really good Steve. I love the live edged top. Only 2 weeks to the dead-line. I think you'll get there OK.

John

Steve1066":2o5gt6ip said:
mseries":2o5gt6ip said:
have you soaked them in cuprinol too ?
No cuprionl here. Just Linseed and Tung oil ?

I think he is referring to the greenish tinge the oak has, looks like the white balance has been fooled by the mixed lighting.

Pete

Racers":2bjch2ja said:
Steve1066":2bjch2ja said:
mseries":2bjch2ja said:
have you soaked them in cuprinol too ?
No cuprionl here. Just Linseed and Tung oil ?

I think he is referring to the greenish tinge the oak has, looks like the white balance has been fooled by the mixed lighting.

Pete
You could be right, but it was late and dark and I don't own a digital camera any more, so it was the phone or the Pentax 67 and some chrome.
The phone won.

Hi Steve,
Thanks for this post.The top is looking good(understatement) I have an ash dinning set and have a notion to replace the top with a slab of Ash and strip the legs,chairs,ect.,and recover the chairs.Thank you for the motivation.

Peter.

Steve1066":3adquimw said:
You could be right, but it was late and dark and I don't own a digital camera any more, so it was the phone or the Pentax 67 and some chrome.
The phone won.

Wow a Pentax 67! that's a beast!

Pete

Back