Elm Sideboard Finally Finished

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for all the comments and taking the time to make them :oops: ,

Brass hinges a big no no, always chrome for me, but as said earlier, not possible with this design anyway.

Some of us don't actually have our own workshops so have no control over the heating arrangements or storage . I was very very lucky to be given space in his workshop for free by Dom who used to post here, but now posts on the other forum.

Bloo I support your views on Brass. I like it for some things, but chrome/steel is much more attractive to my eye. Tho, I do agree that euro hinges look a bit odd on fine furniture.

Another vote for chrome here too. Maybe brass will be back in fashion in a few years time (the silver look has been in for a while now) but everything in my house is chrome or silver from the door handles to the fire surround. Very very nice work by the way you should be very proud. I haven't looked on the projects section of a while (looking on the hand tools section seems to have replaced it in my routine) so I've missed the run up to the reveal. Are the dove tails all hand cut?

that is gorgeous

A real practical item and in my opinion its also a work of art 8)

I would get it away from that rad as soon as though , just in case the heat affects that end of the unit , or turn the rad off till you remove it

Well done :wink:

All the dovetails hand cut, the 3 drawers have 30 I think :evil:

Would like to see more people post work they do, think I saw you posting a clock you made Dom? was FAB IMO.

Where do you live in Scotland, being a fellow Scot, always found buying hardwood difficult when I lived there.

Looking a new Rad this week so will not be so close soon I hope.

Made the little coasters for the Tea Pot etc, from leftovers, a nice easy present to make for friends! Going to make a chunky Chopping board too...

Made this from the leftover Elm, note the use of Chrome!
16jkeg4.jpg

but will need to buy more to make a dining table to match the sideboard.

Thanks again for the comments :D

That's really nice Bloonose. And all those handcut dovetails - wow! Were you not tempted to cut them on a router table using an Incra Fence, or a Leigh jig perhaps? Nice finish - I must give the Osmo a try myself.

Rodger, had bought a LN dovetail saw specially for the job, so no temptation. There were pics of the cutting of the dovetails for the top on the forum but think the host has gone here is one straight off the saw no chisel paring yet and a reasonable fit.
34tec6b.jpg

The Osmo is fantastic stuff can't recommend it highly enough, wipe it on,then after a short time wipe off the excess, repeat the process as many times as you like.

That's pretty impressive straight off the saw, hell it's pretty impressive even if you'd done some paring!

WOW

proper job!

just out of curosity where did you get the elm wood from, is rare as hens teeth,

my farther had a shed full of different woods, but some basterd set fire to the shed, 30 years of collecting hardwoods up in smoke,
:( :(

Back