Elf'n'Safety madness

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last kettle I bought was a robust catering one - the instruction booklet is small and mostly consists of a labelled diagram with part numbers showing so you can re-order parts to repair the thing should it go wrong. There may have been a short section on electrical safety, and a warning of minimum and maximum fill amounts, but that is all. The kettle is still going strong after 3 years - which is great. My last 4 electric kettles (which ranged in price from a cheap supermarket special to a very expensive branded version) all failed after about 18 months - and all the same way, they all sprang leaks - 3 of them around the little window that shows how much water there is in the thing and the 4th (which I deliberately chose as it had no window) sprang a leak under the spout :-(

Regarding instuction books, I find nearly all modern ones almost useless. As Mike says they usually have pages and pages of safety instructions (often in multiple languages) which are just to cover ass and contain very little useful information to the user, Any real informtaion is is usually hard to understand as it is often a poor translation from the Chinese :-( Exploded diagrams are often so small as to be illegible, and photos are often printed so poorly they are impossible to decipher.

I had these same thoughts when i bought one recently....

Seriously, if you dont know this already, perhaps you should be supervised by an adult :roll:

Attachments

• kettle.jpg
    kettle.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 437
tekno.mage":1nz56o5q said:
Regarding instuction books, I find nearly all modern ones almost useless. As Mike says they usually have pages and pages of safety instructions (often in multiple languages) which are just to cover ass and contain very little useful information to the user, Any real informtaion is is usually hard to understand as it is often a poor translation from the Chinese :-( Exploded diagrams are often so small as to be illegible, and photos are often printed so poorly they are impossible to decipher.

Regrettably, this is the case not only with small, simple items, but even with major machinery. Unless I need to know a part number, the manual is usually the last place I'll look in case of a problem. Even on my 3 phase Rojek p/t the 'Instruction Manual' is virtually useless.

The atrocious English is usually good for a laugh though - pretty much the only purpose the manual actually serves!

Back