Elephant on a drum pull toy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee Brubaker

Established Member
Reaction score
I came across an old magazine with a black & white photo of this pull toy.
Apparantly, according to the article, this toy dates back to the mid 1940's
which in itself made it interesting to me. When it is pulled the elephant rocks back & forth on the drum.

Thanks for looking.

Lee

IMG_0323.jpg
[/img]

Well there you go...

My old dad made one similar for me, in the 1940's... (When he wasn't making bullets!)

I suppose it's gone to wooden toy Heaven by now...
:)
John

Very nice. Reminds me of Dumbo which was made in the same decade I believe.

gerrybhoy70":1gx3wcvi said:
Excellent job Lee.
Love to see wooden toys -

you should check out lees other posts - he makes these then gives them to an organisation that distributes them to disadvantaged kids at christmas - he's got load of nice toys on his posts - and its all the more impresive for the charitable aspect imo

top work from a top guy :)

John:

The paint is non-toxic water based fast drying paint. I presume when you inquire about the method of applying the paint that you are likely referring
to the circus wagon wheels ? In anycase I brushed on the orange base coats on the the wheels. These are 2" dia. so I scribed a 2" circle on paper
then drew the design. I then put the drawing into the scanner and copied
it until I had four for all of the wheels. Using an exacto knife I cut out the red segments of the design then spray glued them to the wheels. Lastly painted in red in the cut out segments which transferred the design to the wheels. Actually, I really dislike painting but this particular toy did not lend itself to using different coloured woods for contrast so at the urging of my wife, went the painting route. It took more time for the painting than for actually building the toy. I kept telling her that I'm a woodworking hobbyist....not a painter, but she was insistant & now that it is done I have to agree with her.

Lee

Latest posts

Back