Small Modern Shed Build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very useful thread!! Thanks - I'm considering building a similar shed for home office work

I know this is an old thread, but can I ask what the difference in cost would have been between felt and EDPM roof?
I feel like the EDPM roof costs are higher due to all the specific edging you need etc. versus just nailing and gluing down the felt...

I know this is an old thread, but can I ask what the difference in cost would have been between felt and EDPM roof?
I feel like the EDPM roof costs are higher due to all the specific edging you need etc. versus just nailing and gluing down the felt...
Sammy.se if you’re not going to put any edging on the felt then you don’t need to for the EPDM. The edging systems for EPDM act as rainwater guides and drip edges to feed gutters. However you do not have to use them, you can just nail a board over the epdm on the edges to prevent the wind worrying the edge over time, the same as you would for a felt roof.

That was a very expensive way to buy concrete, much cheaper to get a bulk bag of ballast and then some bags of cement.

Another area that I spent time considering was the stud spacing. In fact I spent an embarrassing amount of time trying to figure out why my initial design was not spaced correctly in Sketch up. This was down to imperial vs metric sizes for OSB and other sheet goods.
That is the problem with reality and software, very easy to make a mistake. I grew up with 8 by 4 sheets and even now I have to remind myself that not all sheets are that size, 2400 is not 8ft and that 40mm can make a difference, often for the worse.

I wasn't aware of this with my first shed but felt has a life expectancy of 5 years. Like clockwork, the fifth year it failed. Pretty much overnight. I came into the shed and was puzzled where the leak had come from. For the next couple of weeks I thought had solved it but then realized/saw the problem. A huge split on the apex of the roof, where the felt was folded. Some of the flat parts had minor damage too, along with the edges. In hindsight this makes sense, it gets super hot during the summer, then wet and frozen during winter. The sad part here was it caused a lot of work and chaos internally due to surface rust, plus I had no confidence in the shed then.

Felt at current prices is £25 - £50, so basically the same price as I paid for the EPDM alone. In total I paid £187.23 for all the extras (glue, gutter trim, fasica and delivery) which is a lot more - but as we plan on staying in this house while the kids are growing I'd expect to break even before we need to consider a move/rebuild. It's rated at over 50 years. The nice thing is I know that once we hit the fifth year, I'm saving time and energy by not having to replace it. You can do this cheaper by omitting the extras but it looks a bit naff IMO. I see the shed daily so want it to look decent, the same for my neighbours.

Note - Rubber4Roofs were great. After my order I had a discount code from one of the youtube lads I follow, they applied it after and refunded the difference. The videos are useful for how to install as well. I'll certainly be looking to replace my workshop roof with EPDM in the future. It's not shed felt (bitumen felt?) which is a lot tougher but it will need replacing at some point.

Last edited:
That was a very expensive way to buy concrete, much cheaper to get a bulk bag of ballast and then some bags of cement.
This was a product of the time - it was post lockdown, during the supply shortages. It was all I could get easily and it saved time in terms of not needing a mixer. If I was doing this now, when cement and the likes are easily available then you're right, mixing your own is the way forward.

Back