electrics again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engineer one

Established Member
Reaction score
like many i am confused about the regs when selling used electrical stuff. :?

i think i believe that to sell for instance and old kettle at a car boot sale, you need to cut off the plug, even if there is nothing wrong, does any one KNOW the legal reference for this, or is it an old wive's tale??

so the extension of that is if one woodworker sells to another an old electrical tool, do they need to remove the plug as well??

final thought if you repair say a lamp, or even a tool privately do you still have to not put a plug on it???

paul :wink:

Timely question as my wife asked me the same question.

A quick Google shows a couple of pages from trading standards from two different councils. Both say be careful buying electrical goods as they may be unsafe, plugs not wired properly etc. But no reference to saying that the plugs have to be removed.

As far as I know It is only a code of practice in the commercial and charity world to protect themselves from litigation also if you dump any electrical goods with a plug or lead on the recycling centre will insist on cutting the lead off to prevent it being used
Nigel

Nigel":ic4ytiui said:
also if you dump any electrical goods with a plug or lead on the recycling centre will insist on cutting the lead off to prevent it being used
Nigel

How illogical of them.

Kind of defeats the object of 'recycling' doesn't it ! Surely someone else using the item is the ultimate in recycling.

roger that's my point, but as usual it seems that there is no standard
so its back to elf and safety innit :lol:

but the real question is can i repair a lamp and then either pass it on in working condition, or heaven forbid, sell it???? :oops: :roll:

engineer one":1yjinz46 said:
but the real question is can i repair a lamp and then either pass it on in working condition, or heaven forbid, sell it???? :oops: :roll:

I think the answer is yes but given our litigious society and something went wrong then you'd probably get sued...or even find that they had deliberately rewired the plug to make it dangerous so that they could sue you..cynic? moi?

Would also depend on the lamp, i guess. Was it made of metal? Did it have an earth lead or not? A power drill, for example, is double insulated. No earth wires to mess around with so no likelihood of any problems..deliberate or otherwise

Oh The plug thing.

When PAT Testing first came out, I was involved in this with Eastern Electricity in borehamwood.

**Dom Valente will know the Manor Way Offices**

There rules were just as said before, If we failed an item, we cut the plug off to stop future use ????

Charged a fortune for the service and then watched the customer take the item home and put a new plug on it....

beaurocracy gone mad....

Marky

Latest posts

Back