electrickery.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I disconnect fridges and freezers during a low voltage period. I believe the lower voltage means higher current which can damage the mtor/pumps.
Whilst it's true that higher voltages generally means lower currents and vice versa, in supply terms, it isn't true when the resistance/impedance is a constant. It may be that at a lower voltage the motors may struggle and overheat with the same, or lower current and cause the overheat cut-out to operate.

However, disconnecting appliances during any supply fluctuations, especially caused by lightning, is a wise move.

I wonder what the probability is that all the domestic feed in systems are all 100%effective in turning off when the network fails. Is there a possibility that very low voltage could arise from a defective domestic PV system locally? I know it shouldn’t happen in theory.
Exactly what I thought, I have seen what you said happen first hand. It only takes one faulty inverter to not shut down during a power outage to send enough voltage for another inverter to see the voltage and so stays active and so on. Potentially very serious for anyone working on the grid.

another reason to be self sufficient with solar I think.....
be good if at least 50% of households had solar.....
then perhaps these over paid moneys might do a better job.....?

the way I see it, it will only get worse......

Back