Electrical help needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodMangler

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as an '*OR*' mains relay ? I need a relay which will make the output 'live' when either one of two inputs is live.

dzj":yma1pj0l said:
Inputs connected in parallel might work.
Wouldn't that mean that either input going live would make the other one live as well ? Not what I need, I have to keep them isolated from each other.

To what degree isolated? Wouldn't you need 2 separate control circuits for that?

What are you putting together? That might shed some light on the matter.

porker":27punupj said:
No idea what the application is but can you simply use two relays and put the switching contacts in parallel for your load?
Yes that would do it, I just wondered if there was a device like I describe, really.

What sort of switching load and voltage on the relay?
What sort of voltage on the inputs? both same voltage?
Speed/frequency of use, many ways of doing such things.
more info needed.
Take your pick depending on application, electronic controls/transistors, solid state relays, twin coil relays, or use two relays as suggested above.

mindthatwhatouch":egiegy4k said:
What sort of switching load and voltage on the relay?
250 V - don't know wattage, but a 5A fuse is specified.
What sort of voltage on the inputs? both same voltage?
Both 250 V.
Speed/frequency of use, many ways of doing such things.
Switches<10 times a day. Duration varies with weather/demand for bread :)
more info needed.
It's a Stanley oil-burner oven. I need to make sure it only turns on when either the controller says it should, or an override switch is operated (for baking) - so it sits across the supply to the Stanley in 'normally off' mode unless one of those inputs is 'on'
Take your pick depending on application, electronic controls/transistors, solid state relays, twin coil relays, or use two relays as suggested above.
Relays make most sense, I just wondered if there was a single twin-solenoid relay which would do the job.

BobU

Assuming the original controller etc is operational.

Then this will sort it....
oven.jpg

Enjoy the toast :lol:

Attachments

• oven.jpg
    oven.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 871
mindthatwhatouch":16z2ntua said:
Assuming the original controller etc is operational.
Then this will sort it....

Enjoy the toast :lol:
The existing wiring is considerably more complicated than that - various sensors and solenoids re-routing water all over the place, and there are already two relays in there, not sure what they're doing though. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet, get my meter out, and produce a proper wiring diagram of what's actually there now before I go any further.

Back