Electric socket for large shop machines

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hickorystick

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
Just about to a sparky to install some electrics in my new workshop.
What size and type of wall socket outlet do I need to specify to cater for large machines
requiring either 16 or 20amps eg. bandsaw or P/T ?

Thanks
Phil

Three phase or single phase?

There was another similar thread a few days ago, which had some replies. I seem to remember a 5 pin plug for 3 phase: 3 x phases 1 x neutral, 1 x earth.

If you are about to employ an electrician in to conduct some work I would simply tell him the machines you have and where you want them positioned. He will supply and install the necessary kit. Simples.

All you then have to do is dip into your pocket.

Unless they are 3-phase, normal 3 pin sockets, (though METAL is very advisable, as the plastic ones tend to get cracked and broken in a workshop environment.

HTH

For single phase larger machines then the Blue Sockets and plugs are rated to 16Amps. So if you have larger machines on single phase then ask for these. Small machine will suffice to have ordinary 13 Amp 3pin sockets or metal ones as someone said.
On 3 phase then the standard is 5 pin but there are vary ratings normally I think 16A or 32 Amp. I think you can get larger as well. You can get 16A 4 pins as well. Your Sparky should be able to advise on all this. 3 phase are colour coded red if you didnt know.
I am still to put in wiring for my 3 phase and at first will use an extension cable ( which I know is probably not ideal but mostly will just be me) to work out exactly where I am happy with my machines. When I know positioning then I am considering using overhead trunking to carry the cables to keep down the cable length.... and cost.
Hope this helps
Danny

Thanks guys - very helpful.
I think the Blue plugs sound like what will be required.
I'll only be using one machine at a time and they (BS & PT) will both be on mobile base.
Not sure if the machines will be delivered before the sparks does the job so a bit of research into the machines is needed..

Back