Electric outlets (ringmain spur etc) (WITH PICS) help pleas

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greek Enigma

Established Member
Reaction score
hi everyone well, basically ive changed my mums mobile-home a lil, and hopeing to add socket outlets
i will show pictures of the socket thing im trying to do,soz about all the pics and ill expplain all at the bottom thankyou again (and hope for help :) ) [please please please (hammer) ]
to this

ok well im no sparky builder etc i just like to give things a go and ask for help when needed ~(well its needed)

ok well i think the caravan is on a ringmain ( ill check consumer unit later,lets assume it is for now as i cnt find my tester to test the two live wires on a socket)
anyway on the first spur will be microwave then spured again for tv,games consles etc

will i get away with this?????????

or will i need to go under the caravan and figure a way to carry on the ring circuit (like carry on from the one at the bottom then have my last new socket going to the next socket,meaning needing a lil more 2.5 cable)

thanks

How you have done it will be fine although not to BS7671 (regs). The load you describe is well within what the cable can safely take so no problem there. Now plug a kettle, toaster and heater into those sockets as well and the spur cable may get a little warm :wink:

Although no need, if you want to do it by the book, just add a fused spur between the supply socket and the two extra ones. Doing this allows as many extra sockets (spurs) as you want as you are then limited in load to the fused spurs fuse, normally 13 Amp.

Oh and don't forget to inform building control, part P and all that! :wink: :lol:

Steve.

Ateallthepies":1gez4eto said:
How you have done it will be fine although not to BS7671 (regs). The load you describe is well within what the cable can safely take so no problem there. Now plug a kettle, toaster and heater into those sockets as well and the spur cable may get a little warm :wink:

Although no need, if you want to do it by the book, just add a fused spur between the supply socket and the two extra ones. Doing this allows as many extra sockets (spurs) as you want as you are then limited in load to the fused spurs fuse, normally 13 Amp.

Oh and don't forget to inform building control, part P and all that! :wink: :lol:

Steve.

are you a electrician? not being rude just want to be assured all will be ok
i know it want be to regs
it was first just going to be a spur of the ring only for the microwave but then the idea of tv and game console came to mind

is the fuse spur needed (im guessing its just a fuse to protect the wires better let them go down to 13amp not 30 from consumer (so dnt melt and let kinda a radial circuit function from a ring?)

anyway in future i guess its just best to allways do it like this http://www.diynot.com/pages/el/el015.php
AKA KEEPING IT ALLWAYS A RING MAIN, (unless its just ONE spur (i did 2 lol)

Yes I am a electrician.

It is always best to try to keep the extra sockets on the ring but not always possible without lots of hassle and spurs are a perfectly acceptable alternative.

One spur per existing outlet is right unless you include a fused spur unit first then as many extra spured sockets off an existing socket is fine as the 13A fuse is protecting the 2.5mm cable leading to all those extra sockets.

There is nothing unsafe about how you have wired those two sockets if used as stated. If you start to load up those two sockets over what a single 2.5mm T&E can take (24A clipped direct or half that roughly if surrounded by fibreglass/insulation.) then problems can occur and is why sparks have to do things by the book as we have no control over how the circuit is used after we leave.

If you think someone will overload those sockets then stick a fused spur in or make it part of the ring, both perfectly acceptable.

Steve.

Ateallthepies":i0ga2hin said:
Yes I am a electrician.

It is always best to try to keep the extra sockets on the ring but not always possible without lots of hassle and spurs are a perfectly acceptable alternative.

One spur per existing outlet is right unless you include a fused spur unit first then as many extra spured sockets off an existing socket is fine as the 13A fuse is protecting the 2.5mm cable leading to all those extra sockets.

There is nothing unsafe about how you have wired those two sockets if used as stated. If you start to load up those two sockets over what a single 2.5mm T&E can take (24A clipped direct or half that roughly if surrounded by fibreglass/insulation.) then problems can occur and is why sparks have to do things by the book as we have no control over how the circuit is used after we leave.

If you think someone will overload those sockets then stick a fused spur in or make it part of the ring, both perfectly acceptable.

Steve.
yeah i kinda got it (did the first part of electrics city & guilds years ago)

i think ill just put a fused spur before my sockets to be safe as never know who moves in next will do with them,
and i wouldn't want that on my shoulders.

or you recon i should just go under caravan and make it part of the ring circuit as have 10meters of 2.5 in the shed

although i might just go buy a spur tomorrow as it will make it easier

what you think ma8

P.S Thankyou for you help i really appreciate it

oh also i have 2 more electric sockets to do (one in my mums room and one in my brothers)

them i think ill carry on as a ring citcuit (go under caravan disconnect one socket add exta cable etc then make sure it links to next old socket in chain like this i guess? http://www.diynot.com/pages/el/el015.php

thanks
await your response

Just add the fused unit, no need to re-wire.

The other sockets not yet done, if it were my place I would spur again (load permitting) unless it was super easy to include them on the ring.

Steve.

Ateallthepies":1v0erktz said:
Just add the fused unit, no need to re-wire.

The other sockets not yet done, if it were my place I would spur again (load permitting) unless it was super easy to include them on the ring.

Steve.
sorry ma8 youve lost me, spur what again?
everything is wired just not neatend up (finished)

ps will this be ok befor my 2 spurs aka straight after off my ring socket outlet http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p44125

Ateallthepies":3r6u7fjr said:
Yep that's it, put one of those any where between the original socket and the first extra one you put in.

Steve.
oh ps ma8 i realised what you was on about
you was on about carrying on to the 2 extra rooms
(their right at the other end)

so ill save cablle and keep it a ring circuit (well for them rooms)

if i just go under the caravan and carry on the ring from a closer point if you get me?

cheers for your help ma8 ill remember the rules

1. allways best to keep your electrics ring if possable aka extend
2.if not possible spur (or add a fused spur if wanting to go over 1 spur)

is that the right method to remember for future

and have a happy new year who ever you are lol :ho2

Back