Electric Guitar Project - Almost Complete!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, not forgotten your warning.... :lol:

Probably going to bind the body, think it will look better. I've started inlaying the fingerboard. I just routed out the majority of the waste freehand and then finished off with a small chisel and knife. More pics soon.
Cheers
Philly :D

Another update!
I've bound the body (using Allparts UK binding - lovely stuff and easy to fit!)

DSCF4583.jpg

I gave the guitar a good sanding, stained the top and gave it a coat of sealer to keep it clean. Need to finish off the fingerboard inlays and I can move it along a little more.

Cheers

DSCF4594.jpg

Looks like the binding worked well Phil and you've got some nice flame going there. I'm cleaning up the inlays with a chisel and it's slow work, I'd post some pics up but I think they'd bore people!!

Righto - managed a little more on the weekend when the Missus thought I was busy :lol:
DSCF4640.jpg

DSCF4643.jpg

DSCF4646.jpg

DSCF4653.jpg

DSCF4657.jpg

Finished inlaying the fingerboard, fitting the pseudo-frets and gluing on the fingerboard. I also drilled the headstock out for the tuners. Had a quick go at making the bridge today and should have that fitted tomorrow. Then I'm ready for some lacquer!
There are more pics on my website for those of a suitable disposition :wink:
Cheers

Excellent Phil, you're going much quicker than me. Also a good idea to cut the fret slots after cutting out the inlays, I suffered a couple of small breakouts into the frets when down the business end of the fingerboard. Another glueing job before I can carry on... :roll:

Thanks Guys!
Only did the fret slots the way i did because I don't know how I should be doing things.... :lol:
Made a bridge for it yesterday, only to find I'd messed up the string spacing. So will be making the MK II version tomorrow. Then I can get the spray gun out :D
Cheers
Phil :D

Been waiting for a steel delivery today so made some more guitar progress.
First up, the bridge. Made the first one with the wrong string spacing, so, after kicking myself, made it again. But correct.
DSCF4705.jpg

Then glued it in place....
DSCF4711.jpg

After a final sanding I masked off the fingerboard and bridge and got out the spraygun..

DSCF4716.jpg

And I just need to sort out where the controls are going to go.

DSCF4728.jpg

Cheers

Hey Philly, looking at you in that window, were you on that trampoline when you took that pic? ;)

Looking nice btw, finish looks lovely and shiny on the body. Is that straight from the gun or do you get out the autosol and wet'n'dry to shine it up?

That finish is looking great, Phil - I really must get around to trying my Earlex some time! :wink:

Great tip on hanging the guitar ready for spraying - with all the fumes going outdoors, I may just keep our up-and-over garage door after all!! :D

Trim
Ha! Spotted me :lol:
I rubbed out the finish with 400 grit wet and dry, then a wipe over with cutting compound to polish it up. This lacquer (Chestnuts Melamine) dries real fast, but stays softish for a day or two. I like to rub out the finish early on then leave it a day or two to cure. The a final burnish with compound gives a fantastic gloss finish.

Olly
Thanks - working outside was a great choice. I had two tiny specks of dust on the last coat, even though it was a breazy day. So I'll be doing this again - and hanging it up meant I could spray the whole guitar in one go.

Cheers
Phill :D

Philly":19k9yqxf said:
And I just need to sort out where the controls are going to go.

DSCF4728.jpg

Cheers

Hey Phill, how are you planning to to avoid chipping the finish when drilling for the pot holes?

Nice gloss finish!

Mike
I like to leave a huge disaster right 'til the end.... :lol:
Little drill, bigger drill, up to finished size should stop any chip out . And as Tony said, masking tape over the hole helps a lot, too.

I'm beavering away on a plane at the moment and the guitar is sat looking at me and calling me. :roll:

Cheers

I also like to dirll for controls after finishing - with a sharp bit it's no problem, and I usually drill undersize then ream to final size with a tapered reamer.

If you drill first, you can get a nasty build up of finish and compund around the holes, and this needs to be removed, which can be just as likely to result in chips.

Philly":2y9vlzu3 said:
Mike
I'm beavering away on a plane at the moment and the guitar is sat looking at me and calling me. :roll:

Yep, thats what guitar projects do.

Setch":2y9vlzu3 said:
I also like to dirll for controls after finishing - with a sharp bit it's no problem, and I usually drill undersize then ream to final size with a tapered reamer.

If you drill first, you can get a nasty build up of finish and compund around the holes, and this needs to be removed, which can be just as likely to result in chips.

Cool - I'll try that next time.

Another update - she's almost completed!
Fitted the electrics, nut, tuners and strings. Had a quick play and I'm over the moon! :D
Need to make a cover for the control cavity and tweak the bridge and nut a little and I'll be a happy bunny.
More pics on my hobby website......
www.philsville.co.uk
Cheers
DSCF4735.jpg

DSCF4766.jpg

DSCF4768.jpg

DSCF4777.jpg

Looking good Phil, work on mine has ground to a halt since finishing my class, need to kick myself up the rear and get on with it.

For my personal taste I'd have made the headstock a little wider and I wonder if you might be tempted to change the pickup rings...

You have a guitar that is all warm darkish woods and the bridge and fingerboard match, but then you have a set of very bright and cream pickup rings. I reckon they'd look better if they were closer in colour to the rest of the guitar, perhaps make some yourself or age the existing ones to tone them down a bit?

Latest posts

Back