Quantcast

Electra Beckum/Metabo/Axy SCMS (KGS 300) - stcking guard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
6,533
Reaction score
20
Location
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
I've got an old EB SCMS. To those with long memories, no, I haven't done the electronic brake yet :-( and it nearly caught me out last night. Yes, I know the rules about not using powered, sharp things when you're tired, and I still have all my fingers intact, but I had a nasty scare.

I cleaned and serviced it last week after cutting pine, and noticed the guard was occasionally sticking half way when the handle was released. It wasn't closing up fully. I know the mech, so took the guard plate off and cleaned around the return spring and the actuating levers. I thought it was sticking where the tilt lock touches its roller (cleaned and wax-lubed both). When I'd finished it was running smoothly again. I tried the lever a lot, and it didn't jam once.

Last night it stuck again, half open, and I didn't notice. I suddenly realised, but not until after I'd passed my hand under the blade a couple of times. Somewhat scary and I've learned my lesson, happily without damage, but it could have been really serious!

So I need to fix it. I'll be stripping it again today, but I was wondering if anyone with the same saw had come across the same problem, and found out what the issue is (also Metabo and the Axminster version, I guess). Thoughts appreciated.

And yes, the saw brake has gone back on the agenda!

E.

PS: My EB saw is OLD. It's a good design - still accurate and clean-cutting, but it's been around the block a bit. The Axminster and more recent Metabo versions might do the same thing, but I've no evidence to think so at present. I am definitely NOT casting aspersions about them!
 

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
6,533
Reaction score
20
Location
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
Well, I nearly fruit-basketed it completely a few minutes ago.

I stripped and cleaned the mech, and thought, "This really needs a dry lubricant, rather than oil to pick up sawdust." Some inner demon suggested talc (works well for OTHER things). So I put a bit on the spring - good, it now slides with little friction. Then the moment of madness: I put some on the guard's sleeve bearing (aluminium on aluminium).

For a few seconds it worked really well, then it started to jam. A few seconds later it was rigid - no movement at all, as if it was welded in place! I managed to get it off again with WD40 and some "persuasion", but the inside of the bearing is well scored and nasty. I've really damaged it!

I think there must have been some chemical reaction between the Aluminium and the talc. :oops:

Got taken for a post-prandial walk on the Mendips this afternoon, so haven't got back to it. Will have a look tomorrow when I feel I have a strong enough stomach.

Sigh.

E.
 

Latest posts

Top