Electra Beckum HC 260 M

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Huxley

Established Member
Reaction score
I have recently bought a Electra Beckum HC260 M planer thicknesser,I sometimes have a problem on starting the planer without giving the drive belt a slight turn,I had a similar problem with my old lathe and turned out to be the capacitor,does anyone know if there is any other cause before I start trying to buy a new capacitor,I have checked all terminals.

Could any one please advise me where I can buy a manual for this machine, I would be most grateful for any help or advise.
Many thanks Dave .

it could also be the brake sticking slightly when the motor starts you should hear a slight metalic clucnk this will be the brake releasing. if your not sure take the fan cover off the back of the moter so you can see the brake and get someone to switch the machine on whilst your watching the motor you should se the pad release. if it dosnt tightnen the bolt on the back of the fan toreduce the gap to about 0.2mm and try again, If it still dosnt release when switched on the chances are the brake coil has failed so loosen the bolt untill the moter turns freely. IF the machine works like this you will need to order a new brake this is assuming there is a brake fitted to the machine some smaller p/thicknessers dont need if the machine stops in under 10 seconds naturaly.
The other option is a failing centrifugal switch in which case you need to see a motor rewindwers if you have a faulty capacitor its unlikley the machine would start after you have turned it a little,

Many thanks Tim and Mike for your replies and help,I will check out your suggestions today and let you know how I got on.

Mike I have tried your links for the manual but unfortunately it comes up with "The link has unfortunately lost its validity" so I will have to keep looking, planer thicknesser's are all new to me so a manual would be neccessary for me when I come to setting up the blades etc.

Thanks once again for taking the time to reply,I have had a lot of help in the lathe section, I visit this section regulary and have gained a lot of knowledge from it.
Dave

Dave Huxley":22uv2hvv said:
Many thanks Tim and Mike for your replies and help,I will check out your suggestions today and let you know how I got on.

Mike I have tried your links for the manual but unfortunately it comes up with "The link has unfortunately lost its validity" so I will have to keep looking, planer thicknesser's are all new to me so a manual would be neccessary for me when I come to setting up the blades etc.

Thanks once again for taking the time to reply,I have had a lot of help in the lathe section, I visit this section regulary and have gained a lot of knowledge from it.
Dave

Hi Dave,

That's strange because the manual's are still there :? I have downloaded them so if you pm me with your email address I will send them to you.

Cheers

Mike

Afraid Mike no longer uses the UKW site, he last logged on 24 Jan 2014,

I have a pdf of the manual, pm me your email address. I'm thinking of selling my EB HC 260 M. Any idea what it's worth, given reasonable condition?

My planer was donated to me, I'm currently stripping it down to check what needs to be done. Confirmed that the motor is running, but the current set of belts and chains look a little odd (Missing/misplaced) hence the need for the pdf.

I'm not sure on cost, but I saw one here in South Africa for about R9500...

regards
Warren

Back