Edwardian moldings repro sources?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.jpg

The woodcarving courses were at deaths door, until they made them a BA. Now students can get funding from the student loan company, things have taken off.

Dick Onians no longer teaches, but he appears now and then to grumble at the lack of tidying up in the studios.

Just wondering..... would an actual piece of the moulding be needed, or would a profile gauge be good enough when getting something made? Just like to know, that's all.
If you want it to be indistinguishable you'd need a good sample with the paint carefully peeled. The final touch with cutter-making is to offer it up to the sample and do any minor tweaks to make it perfect.

The woodcarving courses were at deaths door, until they made them a BA. Now students can get funding from the student loan company, things have taken off.

That makes a lot of sense, the reason I didn't apply was access to funding, well, that and my parents insisting on a 'proper' qualification that would lead to a real job....

Take a look at these bits from Infinity, I used them to make two piece mouldings in a bathroom to finish off the wall paneling.

https://www.infinitytools.co.uk/router-bits/17th-century-profile-bit/
https://www.infinitytools.co.uk/router-bits/colonial-period-profile-bit/
I actually drew the profiles in a cad package to see how they work together and see what works and would look ok plus I took the Infinity cutter profiles from their sales page and placed them into an Excel workbook and put the metric sizes onto the drawings, this is attached if it can assist or help anyone else. You need to save the file and then rename the extension from .txt to .xlsx .

Attachments

• profiles.txt
    4.9 MB · Views: 11
I would use a scratch stock too but first I would use the table saw to remove as much waste as possible taking multiple side by side cuts. There are too many ways to skin that cat. ;)

Pete

that would be relatively easy as you wouldn't need any snipesbils. you'd need three usable planes and a way of making rebates. 12 feet isn't 2 much either. the flute I would do with a dado in a table saw then a scratch stock.the biggest problem is fixing up warped and worn h and r s.

I am building a mirror image of the original alcove cupboard in our early 20th century terrace. It has a complex molding acting as a cover strip across the top and down one edge, totalling about 12ft in length. Before I file out a scratch-stock, any ideas where I might source some. I'm in Caerphilly and there used to be a place in Cardiff made custom moldings that I remember going to with my Dad but that was 30 years ago and they're long gone.
If you are completely unable to match it Correctly; you could remove the original and Use & replace it with an Edwardian Architrave from :-
https://www.periodmouldings.co.uk/c/architraves/edwardian-architraves/

I am building a mirror image of the original alcove cupboard in our early 20th century terrace. It has a complex molding acting as a cover strip across the top and down one edge, totalling about 12ft in length. Before I file out a scratch-stock, any ideas where I might source some. I'm in Caerphilly and there used to be a place in Cardiff made custom moldings that I remember going to with my Dad but that was 30 years ago and they're long gone.
If this has already been suggested I apologise, (not had chance to read all replies yet,) but maybe find decent ogee & rework the profile?

Looks like a combination of Ogee and handrail would do it: Router Cutters or as already suggested buy enough off the shelf to do both sides and replace the original.

Back