Edging strips on ply

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyos

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi woodies

I have made this little stand, and will put on a plywood top, I would like to cut thin strips and apply around the edges.

Can someone explain how it is done?

strips how thick? when glued, do I need to clamp it and how?

How to finish the corners, butt or mitre, first time doing it.

guyos

cutting the strips, depends what you got? bandsaw, table saw, circular saw. hand saw. i would joint one edge cut then joint other,

how thick? haw thick is the board 3/4? i would personally not go any bigger than 3/4 square. 1/2 inch woul be more than adequate

it will be better to cut it slightly bigger than your finished thickness so you can plane,scrape sand,route the edge flush

you can buy edging clamps, but if the pices are small and streight masking tape will hold them in place, you could even use pins if you dont mind small holes of filler/

as for the construction i would mitre the corners so theres no end grain showing

You could use edge banding, its a very thin layer of wood or PVC. It comes it pre-glued, or with adhesive tape backing. The pre-glued is ironed on and the tape is peel and stick. Once the edge banding is on it will need to be trimmed a little. You can use a knife to trim most of it off then use a file to get the rest.

Hi Brice and welcome to the forum

Good to see another Festool Owners Club member here.

Hope you're posts here are just as good as you're ones there.

Regards

joiner1970 (Festool owners club)

The easiest way is to make the edge strips thicker than the ply then rebate, (Rabbet?) the strips and attach from underneath. Mitre the corners, it looks far more elegant.
Mind you, I still think a good mitre joint is the hardest joint to make well. :oops:

Roy.

I usually make the edging strip as a tee section to fit into a groove cut in the edge of the ply. Better gluing area for the edge, automatic alignment and geater area for mitres too.

Bob

I've used the same technique Bob and as you say it gives a good contact area, but on some things the thicker edge of the rebate method makes the top look more substantial, ie, expensive! :lol:

Roy.

Thanks for the advice, I will mitre the corners, I will try the grove and rebate after I have had some practice.

chipp71970":3e2tjdfb said:
Hi Brice and welcome to the forum

Good to see another Festool Owners Club member here.

Hope you're posts here are just as good as you're ones there.

Regards

joiner1970 (Festool owners club)
I didn't know there was a festool owners club, where do I find that?

Back