Edge jointing 6ftx10"x2" walnut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For such long thick boards I would say a spring joint is essential. The main reason for springing boards is that the ends try out faster than the middle of the board and can cause the joint wood to break open on the ends. The springing adds some compensation for this and assuming they are fairly close to final moisture levels prevents the cracks appearing.

The Sedgwick P/T is ideal for jointing this kind of stuff two rollers or a helper and you will achieve excellent results. Sometimes to help extending vertically the fence gives more confidence your not 'wobbling' piece of 18mm mdf with toggles / buttons on the end to clip to the fence is all that's required.

Any plane you have can be used to spring the joint.

I would have a go with one board.

To remove the tear out if you want to stick with what you have I'd try card scrapers. No risk of tear out of the top surface and a far better finish than sanding. My solution would be however to rejoint on the sedgwick

Thinking about it, I would in your shoes ask if any members of the forum close by would be prepared to help you with the task. That amount of walnut is expensive and wants to be jointed properly with an 'invisible' seam. Yorkshire is full of really kind wonderful people having been born their Im a little biased!

Agree with deema in that I would re-joint them on the Sedgwick. My MB is only a little bigger than the PT and I have jointed bigger boards on my own with a pair of roller stands for additional support. That will improve the joint considerably but to get it really tight and near invisible, the edges would still benefit from a couple of thin shavings from a long soled plane.

Hi gents.

Taken on board what you're saying. I shall consult the oracle (wife) and see what she wants to do.

Until I get a proper workshop, it's a major task to redo these joints and what with having a little boy, I never know when I'm going to have free time, so even asking for/arranging help is problematic lol. It may be that they are as good as they are going to get with the facilities I have available to me. Just a bit of a shame as they are so close.

Regarding the sprung joint, I've seen them on videos etc and understand the purpose of them but again it's lack of facilities really. I've had the wood in the house for nearly 2 years so I'm hoping its really dry and the joints wont come apart over time.

Back