edge joining hardwood to pine - what is my best route?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlowSteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

I have a large, heavy hinged lid on a large box that needs some rescue work.

All four edges of the lid - made of a very hard pine, or some sort of "hard softwood" have had 100+ years of hammering and are a total mess. I would like to cut the worst off with the router and then attach new wood to them and trim everything to fit.

Dimensions at the moment SHOULD be 48" x 24". However, given damage, they are effectively 47" x 23"

I am thinking of ripping this down to 46 X x 22", and then attaching 1 inch of new wood all around, then planing everything to a perfect fit.

I was initially going to use a hard pine and try and blend it in as best as I could, but I am now thinking of using a contrasting coloured hardwood and essentially wrappng the whole lid - the pine is a dirty brownie yellow colour - so I was thinking either a dark iroko, a rosewood (both much darker) or a light coloured wood like Ash or Maple.

My question is about attachment - if I go down this route, the hardwood band will be bearing the whole weight of the lid. Is a simple glue joint enough, or would I be better doing something like a full length tongue, or shooting dowels through every 9" or so.

I'm also not sure about movement of the wood - do I need to be worried about a hard and a softwood moving at different rates?

Steve

Gluing on two long grain pieces (i.e. on the long dimensions of your lid) isn't a problem, however gluing long grain to short grain (i.e. the shorter, ends of your lid) is a non starter. This is far more significant than different species of wood, it would be a non starter even with identical species. Bottom line is that attaching lipping to end grain isn't going to work, there are possibilities of attaching end grain lipping to end grain with an epoxy adhesive, but that brings a whole fresh set of challenges.

You may be better going back to the drawing board and figuring out how to salvage this piece without touching the end grain.

By the way, you'll get better advice if you post a photo of the box.

Good luck.

Sounds like you need to attach some breadboard ends to the lid after gluing on some strips on the edges or edge.

Pete

It was breadboards that I was thinking of ( although I didn't say that term on here as I thought it was an americianism ).

I have seen them, but no idea how they are attached.

Steve

They are attached with a tenon made from the existing top into a mortice in the new end piece.
They aren't glued apart from the middle you use dowels into elongated holes to allow the top to expand and contract.

Have a look here at 5:55 onwards https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OMifk7_uFo

Pete

Back