ECE Primus Ultimate Smoothing Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have one? Or know how to adjust them?

I picked one up off e-bay a while back, and have only just got round to putting it together (arrived in pieces). I am having trouble adjusting the blade laterally - seems to slip when in use.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Karl

Karl - I managed to get one of these:

55s1f1.jpg

round about this time last year from PFT in town, pearwood body and lignum sole, adjustable mouth. I was lucky enough to buy this one with a bolt operated cap iron which I prefer...new Derek of Oz style bolt :wink: This one has been refurbed and if your's in in bits, I'd suggest that it would make a good plane restoration project. Strip off all the old icky varnish with some Nirtromoors, clean up and sand, finish with two or three coats of oil and wax over the top. Once you get used to adjusting them (with a Philly tapometer) they are really excellent tools...blade bedded at about 49deg iIrc

When I go to PFT I wonder how it stays in business, with such a stock of stuff but so few people in it, Rob, it's you isn't it?? You keep an entire business afloat!

Aidan

TheTiddles":3fxg6ewl said:
When I go to PFT I wonder how it stays in business, with such a stock of stuff but so few people in it, Rob, it's you isn't it?? You keep an entire business afloat!

Aidan

Not I, I'm aftaid...I only get the odd thing in there. They do get some quite unusual stuff in there so it's worth a poke about now and again just to see what's new. I generally make the mandatory detour :wink: whenever I've got any bits and pieces to do in the town...you never know - Rob

karl":1dgele1k said:
Does anybody have one? Or know how to adjust them?

I picked one up off e-bay a while back, and have only just got round to putting it together (arrived in pieces). I am having trouble adjusting the blade laterally - seems to slip when in use.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Karl
Glue a piece of (stiff) felt to each side of the lateral adjuster to keep it tight in the plane. The kind of self adhesive felt that you put under the legs of furniture to protect the floor works perfectly.

Karl,

I have one, and would second Rob's comment that it is an excellent performer. If Caruso's suggestion works, never mind what I have to say. Otherwise.....

Does your ECE have the spring-tensioned bolt at the rear of the plane which tightens the blade? If so, try to stop the lateral blade movement by tightening this bolt.

If that doesn't work, then check to see the blade is making full contact with the bedding. Before starting, scuff the blade back with sandpaper or stone, just to make sure it's not slippery for some reason. Now inspect both the blade and the bedding. Does the blade rock when put onto a flat place? A lot, or a little?

The bedding on this plane is unusual. At the top of the bedding there are two domed metal studs--the blade back rests against these. So the blade back is in the air, not against the wood. Are the two domed studs both there? Do they look exactly alike (this is off ebay, after all)?

Now mount the blade/chipbreaker in the plane, and tighten the blade-clamping bolt. Looking at the sole, does the blade edge appear to be parallel to the mouth edge, or is it askew? If askew, then something is interfering with the blade's bedding.

At this point, if the blade is still moving laterally, it would be useful to have a fine feeler gauge, or piece of shim stock, that you can try to slide between the metal studs and the blade back, and, at the bottom of the plane, between the blade back and the wooden bedding.

If the blade is (a) not slippery, (b) well tightened by the clamping bolt, and (c) making good contact with the bedding, then it shouldn't move laterally.

Wiley

EDIT (something I forgot to mention): When you actually _want_ to make a lateral adjustment on this plane, forget the lateral adjuster. It's about useless. Do it with handpressure or hammer taps. BTW, I have the same recommendation for infills with Norris type adjusters.

Back