eBay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerP

Established Member
Reaction score
I see from next month they're going to charge "Final Value Fee" INCLUDING the P/P.
So if P/P is a tenner they're going to take a quid of it! Plus PayPal have their dibs too.

I think that's the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

RogerP":331n0w3l said:
I see from next month they're going to charge "Final Value Fee" INCLUDING the P/P.
So if P/P is a tenner they're going to take a quid of it! Plus PayPal have their dibs too.

It's probably (in part) because of the trick people have developed of listing
large P+P fees. The bidders (of course) just factor this into the "total cost"
which is the only thing that matters.

eBay/Paypal cannot be bothered to try to stamp this out
(which would involved for each-and-every item working out
what realistic P+P is) so they've just changed to a
new basis for charging.

Of course, if they were merely closing the loophole, they'd
alter the basis AND lower the rate, but I don't suppose they have.

BugBear

bugbear":d44rgfre said:
RogerP":d44rgfre said:

It's probably (in part) because of the trick people have developed of listing
large P+P fees. The bidders (of course) just factor this into the "total cost"
which is the only thing that matters.

eBay/Paypal cannot be bothered to try to stamp this out
(which would involved for each-and-every item working out
what realistic P+P is) so they've just changed to a
new basis for charging.

Of course, if they were merely closing the loophole, they'd
alter the basis AND lower the rate, but I don't suppose they have.

BugBear
I expect that's their excuse but really it's just another money grabbing eBay scheme.

There is a hidden problem for sellers (like me) who don't make money on postage but only charge the actual cost. Now it's lose money or inflate P/P beyond the cost. Or get out - which is what I'll do.

P&P is more than the cost of the postage. These days it stands for Post & Processing, which means all the costs of processing the order: PayPal, Ebay, WHSmiths, Royal Mail. A business could reasonably claim that is also an element of the cost of the wages of the person who shoves it in an envelope and carries down to the Post Office, although I suppose most businesses would factor that into the cost of their products anyway.
But however you cost it, it is more - sometime quite a bit more - than just the cost of the envelope and stamp.
But I agree it is galling.
S

Steve Maskery":2jfbg4c0 said:
P&P is more than the cost of the postage. These days it stands for Post & Processing, which means all the costs of processing the order: PayPal, Ebay, WHSmiths, Royal Mail. A business could reasonably claim that is also an element of the cost of the wages of the person who shoves it in an envelope and carries down to the Post Office, although I suppose most businesses would factor that into the cost of their products anyway.
But however you cost it, it is more - sometime quite a bit more - than just the cost of the envelope and stamp.
But I agree it is galling.
S
I absolutely agree Steve but so many eBay buyers will knock down a seller's rating if they get charged a penny more than the cost of the stamp they see on their parcel. Even eBay publicise the fact that P/P means more than just the stamp cost but it make no difference to some buyers.

However, I've now changed to using a carrier for most of my stuff (except very small items) and they don't show the cost on their label! :)

I've just listed my first items for sale on ebay for years, the charges have certainly gone up and its more fiddly to get a listing done compared to years gone by. Ugh!

RogerP":mz0maiqv said:

Yep agreed, there are other selling sites out there. Their profits are something like half a BILLION pounds PER QUARTER!! Greed has no bounds eh?

Yep agreed, there are other selling sites out there.

No fan of ebay here but I'm planning on launching online on ebay before the year is out.

I want to reach as many as possible, a smaller site wouldn't do this.

I have been ripped off by P&P fees on eBay, I only ever charged what it cost me, I didn't charge for my time although I agree it should have been factored in. One way around this problem may be to say 'pick up only or contact seller for delivery quote'.

BH

Baldhead":3e6rrn90 said:
I have been ripped off by P&P fees on eBay, I only ever charged what it cost me, I didn't charge for my time although I agree it should have been factored in. One way around this problem may be to say 'pick up only or contact seller for delivery quote'.

BH
"Collection only" but offering a courier service would entail the buyer making two quite separate payments. As payment is most likely to be via PayPal (owned by eBay) you would get two lots of deductions from PayPal which will reduce any saving you may make.

I'm afraid the only answer is to raise the postage to cover eBay's 10%-12% fee from the postage cost.

As I said earlier, if I continue with eBay, I'm going to use a carrier who doesn't show the cost on the label.

For a long time ebay have insisted that unrealistic pricing on shipping is not allowed. At one time, they insisted that certain items (e.g. DVDs) must be free-shipping. I guess they have finally decided that the only way prevent high shipping being used to reduce fees is to take this step.

ebay has a monopoly and no governing body so they can do what they like. And we have the choice to use them or not.

RogerS":1o52ba4a said:
potteringpotter":1o52ba4a said:
these days, I only use it as a price comparison site

Who do you use instead? Gumtree seems full of time-wasters.
eBay own Gumtree. I've tried on a couple of occasions to sell there. Wasn't impressed with the few responses.

What no one has mentioned so far is that eBay have just abolished the charges they made for hosting photos. So now you can host up to 12 photos completely free. I think this far outweighs any loss due to inclusive postage costs.

Plus the reason given for insisting on inclusive postal costs has more to do with buyer experience that people over charging.

You pays you money and makes your choice I guess.

For me I will continue to use eBay as both a buyer and a seller and am happy with the new arrangements.

regards

Brian

Back