Ebay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it ok to put ebay links on this site or is this frowned upon?

I'm asking as I'll be putting a few small items on ebay later and was wondering if anyone would be interested.

Just mainly old stuff which belonged to my grandad, which I already have, mainly old planes (block, shoulder, bullnose rebates,etc) and an 1 1/4" pattern maker's paring chisel.

thanks and sorry if I'm out of order asking about this.

Scooby,

I must draw your attention to forum rule 5.4, you have of course read the rules? :-s They are at the top of every section of the forum.

Forum Rules":3kuizqcu said:
(5.4) Items For Sale
Once established as a member who contributes to the forum, we will allow private individuals to post that are looking to sell or buy an item. The thread must have FOR SALE in the title. As items move quickly within the forum, a member can bump such a thread back up to the top just once.

Members may not promote their own sales that are on other sites such as eBay.

So please post the items that you want to sell on the forum, hopefully someone will like what they see and you can aviod ebay. :D

DaveL":1nrdjz6n said:
Scooby,

I must draw your attention to forum rule 5.4, you have of course read the rules? :-s They are at the top of every section of the forum.

Forum Rules":1nrdjz6n said:
(5.4) Items For Sale
Once established as a member who contributes to the forum, we will allow private individuals to post that are looking to sell or buy an item. The thread must have FOR SALE in the title. As items move quickly within the forum, a member can bump such a thread back up to the top just once.

Members may not promote their own sales that are on other sites such as eBay.

So please post the items that you want to sell on the forum, hopefully someone will like what they see and you can aviod ebay. :D

Errrr :? I'll be honest and admit I didm't rule the rules :oops: Sorry.

The only reason I thought of Ebay was I'm not sure of the value of the tools as, apart from the Record 311, I've never seen any on Ebay.
Also I'm not sure how much p&p will be now, due to the recent size & weight price changes.

I'd rather not use ebay, so if I post some pics of the tools with size, weight details,etc could people let me of an estimated value and delivery cost and hopefully if anyone is interested we can sort something out.
Thanks and apologies for my rule breaking 8)

Scooby,

You can search completed items on ebay, so if you can find similar things that will give you an idea of price, the other way is to check out the old tool dealers, Alf has a good list on her web site.

Though I understand why the rule is there, it does seem very anti free trade to me. It either prevents forum users from knowing that the item is for sale (unless another member notices it, and puts a post up), or it prevents the seller from getting the best possible price (which for pro members disposing of their assets is, I believe, a legal requirement?).

Could the rule not be changed so that established members could post links, perhaps with an upper limit of one a month?

Why not offer an item to forum members first, then if no nibbles, list it on eBay?

That way, everyone's happy.

(This is a strategy frequently used on Woodnet, for example)

Like Nick says, there doesn't seem to be any rules about posting links to e-bay auctions in general as they apear quite often in this forum.

Is it fair that 'strangers' may benefit from our buying power, but not our own members?

Matt.

deirdre":18xubvcw said:
Why not offer an item to forum members first, then if no nibbles, list it on eBay?
Why not indeed? Why wouldn't you want to give your friends a chance to buy first? And incidently, indirectly it supports the forum by creating some extra interest and reasons for people to participate. Plus save yourself some Ebay fees and probably have more peace of mind too. But it's all academic 'cos it's one of the rules; there aren't that many, and that just happens to be one of them. It ain't gonna kill you. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back