ebay warning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JIJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a quick note to warn any potential bidders,

I won the planes as in the listing and paid, but the buyer hasn't sent items or been in touch. So if they are relisted-I'd avoid them. And anything else xxxxxxx is selling too.

Edit: removed seller ID and link to listing. jij

I've opened a case with ebay to try to get my money back. fingers crossed.

Cheers,

James

JIJ":3az1h2h0 said:
.............. I've opened a case with ebay to try to get my money back. fingers crossed.
Cheers,
James
Sorry it's happened to you but no need to cross your fingers, if you paid with PayPal, you will get your payment back.

That's good to hear Roger, I did pay with paypal.
I've only had good transactons on there before, including one or two with yourself for a great walnut awl and a marking knife-I use them all the time.

It's a shame, I was hoping they'd clean up into good planes it looks like they both have the keyhole slot in the lever caps so I'm guessing they are pre WWII

JIJ":c6slidls said:
It's a shame, I was hoping they'd clean up into good planes...I
I was thinking that too.

JIJ":c6slidls said:
...it looks like they both have the keyhole slot in the lever caps so I'm guessing they are pre WWII
All Record planes have the "keyhole" slot - it's Stanley who changed to a kidney shaped slot during the 1930s. Nevertheless they look to be of a good vintage - pre-1960.

Cheers, Vann.

II read C, the auction endet 8 days ago. There're not many items appearing faster than 1 week, where I live.

Cheers PEdder

Pedder, it was that the item hadn't been marked as sent and no message from the seller either. I had messaged him a couple of times and got no response. But, I should have been more patient. The package was waiting by the back door when I got home today, was sent a couple of days ago. ☺

Thanks for the info Vann about slot shape. I,d always assumed Record had changed the shape as well as Stanley. So, it looks like I got lucky getting ones of a good vintage. Any more info on dates from pics below? If you can see any details under all the grime and paint splatters.

http://rs1074.pbsrc.com/albums/w419/jjo ... pg~320x480

Cheers,
James

They are a 41\2 and a 51\2, both have brass adjuster wheels, one piece y shaped bit (can't remember name, sorry), tall front handles, 41\2 has rosewood handles I think and 51\2 has beech and brass fittings on handles on both. I guess the frog shape will put them at a decent age?

Cheers,
James

JIJ":r9qt9mzu said:
Pedder, it was that the item hadn't been marked as sent and no message from the seller either. I had messaged him a couple of times and got no response. But, I should have been more patient. The package was waiting by the back door when I got home today, was sent a couple of days ago. ☺

When I sell something , I always send a msg to say it's posted. It doesn't cost anything just a few seconds.

Quite a few don't, I call it impolite.

How's this then, I just sold something on eBay_collection only due to size/low value etc the buyer has paid but don't want to collect it? Shame is it sold for 99p.

Couple of nice planes there James, the 4 1/2 is a cracker Rosewood handles are best sanded smooth and waxed IMHO , those laminated blades are very nice the 5 1/2 looks like there is not much left but the 4 1/2 looks to have a good amount left.
The lever caps can either be re-chromed of you can sand off all the chrome and polish them.

Pete

Brush the dust off, sharpen the blade, and try.
They have been well used, no "fettling" will be needed.

My goto is a war finish Record 4 1/2. All I've done is sharpen, and can easily achieve shavings thin enough to read through.

Bod

I'll give them a clean up, try to scape most of the paint splashes off, sand down and wax\oil the handles and generally make them look a bit more presentable. I'll leave any fettling for now, I suspect they'll cut just fine as they are.

I hadn't heard off anyone sending the lever caps to be rechromed, is it reasonable price wise? Or would they be nickel plated originally?

How do you know if the blades are laminated? I've noticed on some of my others there is a line across the back\face. I'd always thought this was due to the back being rubbed on a stone to flatten\ remove the burr. There's not much life left in either of these though.

cheers
James

Glad it all got resolved James. When I sell an item I send an invoice saying thanks for buying and then when I get paid I tell the buyer that it has been posted. Seems the least to do when somebody is buying something they have not seen.

Had a pleasant surprise recently when I sold a chair starting at 99p which actually sold for 99p. Buyer paid up straight away and when he collected gave me another £10 because he felt embarrassed at getting it at the bargain basement price. There are just some lovely people out there.

Regards Keith

JIJ":3jz5heny said:
Thanks for the info Vann about slot shape... ...Any more info on dates from pics below? If you can see any details under all the grime and paint splatters.
Hi James. The No.4½ looks to be either type 1 (1930-1939), or type 2 (1939-45). If the lateral lever says "WARFINISH" under the surface rust/dirt then it's type 2 - but it looks more like a type 1*. The lever-cap will be nickel plated, not chromed.
*rosewood handles; nickeled frog screws; are signs of type 1 - but sometimes spill over into later types.

The No.5½ looks like a type 3 (1945-52) or type 4 (1952-59). Type 3 have no markings on the lateral lever, whereas type 4 says "RECORD" on the lateral lever.

What a shame David Lynch's site has gone offline - all this information was there for reference :( .

I pleased for you that they arrived.

Cheers, Vann.

JIJ":lp9wnkuk said:

Good you got it. It was his first sell. Be more patient. And maybe re-title this thread.

Chers Pedder

Thanks for the info on the plane dates Vann. Very helpful of you. Neither lateral lever has any words, just some sort of pattern
I had a message from the seller saying that he'd underestimated the postage costs and that was the reason for the delay. A quick message to update me was all it would have taken, I did leave positive feedback though in the end.

Cheers,

James

I do agree with you. Communication is all and it's so easy on the web. I don't understand why people can't get their act together and keep the other person in a transaction up to date. But many don't, even businesses can be guilty of this.

I virtually always leave positive feedback. Mistakes happen and some folk just aren't very competent. I'd only give a negative if someone deliberately tried to cheat or if they lied.

RogerP":2eh9z1nb said:
I do agree with you. Communication is all and it's so easy on the web. I don't understand why people can't get their act together and keep the other person in a transaction up to date. But many don't, even businesses can be guilty of this.

I virtually always leave positive feedback. Mistakes happen and some folk just aren't very competent. I'd only give a negative if someone deliberately tried to cheat or if they lied.

People are different, they're not all working to anyones particular standard. Some don't see it as being important. Its not life or death. The world won't end.

I'd be nice if the OP deleted the ebay link in his first post as his goods arrived and the situation was not as interpreted - some may not go further than that post...

Latest posts

Back