EBay slippery selling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
£24!? What the hell was he shipping, half a hundred weight of bricks to America and back? If he's quoted X for shipping it's his responsibility to ensure it costs X to ship before he lists the damn thing.

There have been a couple of times I've been caught out on the weight of a parcel being more than I've thought, I think one time I made a £5 loss including the item sale but I took it on the chin and still sent the bloody stuff out.

Bosch track saw Mark I've paid him postage already I got it cheap I guess and he now won't send it. I've said I would arrange a courier but not heard a word since. Here's the item number etc

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200312-181517.png
    Screenshot_20200312-181517.png
    212.8 KB · Views: 256
Trevanion":15xtbemj said:
£24!? What the hell was he shipping, half a hundred weight of bricks to America and back? If he's quoted X for shipping it's his responsibility to ensure it costs X to ship before he lists the damn thing.

There have been a couple of times I've been caught out on the weight of a parcel being more than I've thought, I think one time I made a £5 loss including the item sale but I took it on the chin and still sent the bloody stuff out.
Exactly Trev he's basically saying I'm not happy with the sale price so either pay more or no deal. What's really got to me is he messaged me saying he would post it, never said he was unhappy and gave me advice on an unbranded battery and blade to buy for it. I'm fuming tbh

I buy quite regularly off ebay and have had only a few issues however every one has been resolved and I am very careful before placing orders.

What does p*** me off about ebay however is the number of obviously fake items being blatant sold, mainly by chiwanese sellers who have loads of listings under different names and are presumably valuable contributors to the ebay coffers.

As an example over several months I file a number of reports of sellers listing Mitutoyo items at around £7 - £10, new and clear fake, did ebay do anything? Nope they even let them keep re listing.

I guess if anyone is stupid enough to believe they can get quality branded items for that price they deserve what they get but it's an example that profit and not customer protection is all that matters.

FatmanG":vx1vz26m said:
Exactly Trev he's basically saying I'm not happy with the sale price so either pay more or no deal. What's really got to me is he messaged me saying he would post it, never said he was unhappy and gave me advice on an unbranded battery and blade to buy for it. I'm fuming tbh

TBH I think you're over-reacting. Looking at the postage costs quoted for just bare items, I'm seeing postage costs of £13-14. Now add in the guide track and other stuff and I can quickly see the postage getting up to £24. We all make mistakes. I don't think he deliberately set out to con you.

Looking at what you've written above, what's your beef ?

"...he messaged me saying he would post it" OK...nowt wrong with that. Exactly what I would send someone who's bought something from me.

"never said he was unhappy". So ? He wasn't when he emailed you. OK - he messed up, he found out the true cost. Now he's unhappy as per the screen grab.

"gave me advice on an unbranded battery and blade to buy for it" ...why are you angry about that ? I'd have said that he was being helpful.

In the screen grab the phrase "I went to post it" sounds like he is sending it using Royal Mail?

Why not work with him to find a cheaper method eg Parcel2GO?

I have to agree he doesn't sound like he is going out of his way to rip you off and your description of him as lowlife is a bit uncalled for IMO

Even if the reason is genuine, it's not Glenn's fault the seller didn't do his due diligence and find out how much it was going to cost to post before making the listing up.

No it isn't his fault, but rather than getting angry and identifying the seller on a woodworking forum, he could easily suggest to the seller that Parcel2go would be a much cheaper option than RM.

He has paid the seller £7.39 p&p
Parcel2go would cost around that for a parcel up to 10kg

Less entitled indignation and a little more understanding would have this bargain and very cheap saw on its way to him already.

I don't mind someone coming on here and having a rant, If it relieves the frustration and makes him happy or just a little bit more content then rant away, I have lots of things to rant about, but generally just shout at the TV a lot. (hammer)

Excuse me but I have not identified anyone its a username same as Fatman g identifies me. I started this thread because I have had a disproportionate number of purchases that has turned out to be no good I.e bits missing off tools, stuff not turning up and now someone trying to get more money than agreed. Forgive me for my neuroticism but I could give him the £17 extra he wants and he could still not send the damn thing and would I be covered for that by PayPal. NO.
Finally this seller has other things for sale tools etc so exposing his username on here I felt I may of saved other members from dealing with at best a Berk at worst a lowlife.

Irish Rover":1kmxj0n6 said:
He also has 100% unblemished, exemplary feedback.

So he knows how it works and has no excuse its also pretty short odds that rating is going to change.

Roger S caveat emptor
As for the postage costs he will have to suck it up

Have a good night chaps

I buy the odd piece of furniture on eBay to chop up for other projects because it can be much cheaper than buying new timber (and dry too). But this is very hit and miss because most sellers have no idea of the difference between solid wood and veneered (and i think it is ignorance mostly rather than anything worse).

One thing I would never recommend to a friend is selling a car on eBay. That seems to attract all kinds of nefarious characters.

transatlantic":13s5ax92 said:
Completely agree about asking questions, but some sellers can take days to respond (if at all) and you might lose it.

If a seller cannot take the time to respond to a potential buyer then you have to question how trustworthy they are and I would suggest the only thing you missed out on was being fleeced.

I buy much more than I sell on ebay. I've had buyers claim they've not received items that they've signed for! I've had sellers try to wash their hands off items that have not been delivered. Generally it's about using sense, something which I know isn't so common these days. If an offer seems too good to be true then it usually is. If a seller seems a bit vague or doesn't answer questions at all then you're probably best giving it a miss. I have some sim[athy with the seller who was quoted £24 to post; I posted about this very subject the other week but the post was removed, figured someone must have a relative employed by Royal Mail. It staggers me how little RM counter staff know about postal options. Something that cost £1.51 to post last Summer they wanted to charge £5.92 a week or two back. I got them down to £2.82 but that's still nearly double last Summer's price. Parel side can be even worse

Lonsdale73":lqc8erua said:
If a seller cannot take the time to respond to a potential buyer then you have to question how trustworthy they are and I would suggest the only thing you missed out on was being fleeced.

Big difference between someone trying to fleece you and someone not being very active with communications.

I've had plenty of people that take a few days to respond but are actually very nice and helpful.

Again - if it's something you know people are going to snap up, you either take a risk with it, or you wait to get your questions answered and potentially lose it.

transatlantic":1x63k2w3 said:
Big difference between someone trying to fleece you and someone not being very active with communications.

Could be or I could be guilty of judging everyone by my own high standards. I try to answer every query - no matter how stupid or how much I know it's the internet equivalent of a tyre-kicker - as quickly and as accurately as I can, partly because that's my way and also because I want to sell the item so I'm happy to do whatever to faacillitate that. There was an item I was genuinely interested in and enquired about last MAY; never did get a reply and it's still for sale. Even away from the likes of ebay, gumtree etc, it often puzzles me why some companies have a contact page on their website when they fail to respod to enquiries.

I'm a bit puzzled how anyone selling can be so far out on postage costs except for a genuine mistake.

It's easy enough to measure for size and weigh the items, add a bit for box weight and get costs on the internet from Royal Mail, Parcel Force and any number of other couriers. Not exactly rocket science!

Normally I would agree Bob. A few weeks ago, I got caught out. I bought a lawnmower on ebay. The woman wouldn't post but was happy to box up for a courier. I put the weight and sizes into parcel2go and it spat out a price of £8.99. It sounded a bit too good to be true because the next nearest was £25, then £50+. I bought the mower and then went back to book the courier. Same results came up but when I clicked on the £8.99 it suddenly decided it was too large and I had to use the £25 service. I had saved a chunk on the mower compared with new, so an extra £15 didn't break the deal but I can see how somebody would be annoyed having done everything correct at the pricing stage.

It was Hermes, they delivered it to the wrong house. Luckily I tracked it down and got a refund on the shipping after all that?!

Genuine mistakes do happen and I'd like to think I'm a reasonable person and recognize the difference. Just before Xmas I bought an item off a forum member we agreed a price and postage. When the item arrived I noticed he had paid 27 quid on postage much more than he asked for. Long story short work commitments meant he had to use royal mail as he wanted to get it sent on time. He never said anything. I deposited the extra into his bank.
Genuine people don't demand make threats or operate the way this fella off ebay has.

Back