eBay questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's a perfectly reasonable question to be honest. The answer is 35,31mm (1.39") (Google" Whitworth spanner sizes"). Also, I actually measured an old spanner which I had from my apprenticeship days which was 35,56mm (1.4") so close enough I suppose. The rule for Whitworth used to be 1.5 x diameter + 1/8", but this does not quite work out. Apparently, during the war A/F sizes were reduced to save on raw materials. A/F sizes for BSF threads are a bit different anyway.

Regards,
Tudor

If I remember correctly the spanner size refers to the diameter of the bolt not the size of the head, thus it is not unreasonable to need yo know the actual opening size as it may fit something else.

If I remember correctly Whitworth sizes refer to the bolt diameter not the head size so a 13/16ths whitworth would be much larger than 13/16ths A/F spanners were an abbreviation of across the flats, i.e the nut size.

jaymar":1roefkt4 said:
If I remember correctly Whitworth sizes refer to the bolt diameter not the head size so a 13/16ths whitworth would be much larger than 13/16ths A/F spanners were an abbreviation of across the flats, i.e the nut size.

Although you're answer is possibly correct, Maybe you didn't notice the post is close to 8 months old!
Regards Rodders

Back