Ebay advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Smith

Established Member
Reaction score
I've never used ebay until yesterday but looking at the fantastic bargain Old managed to win pulled me in :roll: .

Yesterday morning at 9AM I won the firewood from the same guy Old got his timber from. Since then I have emailed him twice but have had no response.

What I need to know is how long should I wait before I lodge a complaint with ebay? Is this sort of thing normal?

Keith

There'll be no stopping you now, eBay's very addictive :)

Unless the seller stated delivery/response within x amount of time I would give it at least a few days.

Thanks Charlie, I'll wait then.

I emailed him before bidding, to make sure he would deliver it to me, and he emailed right away, now I've bought it, nothing.

Must admit it has put me off a bit, but then I do have some Lie-Nielsens I want to sell :lol:

Keith

I have to admit Kieth that I use E-bay a lot and have only been taken for a ride once in over 80 purchases. I find it a gold mine as long as you know what you are looking for and what you want to pay. :wink:

I'm happy that people find E-bay useful, but I'm still cautious, I read on another forum that when paying by PayPal it's possible to receive a fake e-mail message (Identical to the real thing except they address you as 'Dear Member' ) according to this person it took her weeks and thirty or so e-mails to E-bay and paypal to get it sorted.

Mailee, How much did you loose on the one that went wrong? Just curious.

Just to elbow my way into the conversation, :wink: I've got several hundred ebay transactions under my belt and I've yet to get stung. As long as you exercise a bit of common sense (ie. is a guy with 0 feedback selling a top of the line mobile phone for £5 = walk away) then it's like buying something in a marketplace. Most people are reasonably decent, just use your wits to avoid the bad ones, I'm sure I'll get nailed at some point, hopefully not for too much though :lol:
As for the fake paypal message again, common sense, don't follow links you receive in emails (but this is a normal web precaution), log into the service you require from your own bookmark - or if you're really daring, type in the url yourself! :D

V.

I've just spent the last hour and a half stacking firewood, and I've still 5 bags to go :roll:

Mailee now I've tried it I'll definitely use it again, you hear tales of people being ripped off but the feedback system works well.

Losos I've had hundreds of fake emails from banks, some very convincing, in fact one was so good it fooled me and I got a Trojan for my troubles :evil:

You just have to be as careful as possible.

Keith

Hi Losos, I didn't lose out in the end due to the Pay Pal system. I had sent about £40 for a set of chisels which didn't arrive! After a few weeks of e-mails asking for confirmation of postage without sucess I contacted E-bay who managed to get my money back from the sellers account to my own. I just think I was lucky. Could have been a lot worse I suppose.

As a seller we almost got ripped off because of the paypal system. They reversed a transaction and took the fund away even though we had a signed for proof of delivery. Buyer claimed goods never arrived it took 3 months to get the money back.

Back