EB HC260M Planer Thicknesser set up & manual request

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
galleywood":2unli35s said:
That's good.

As I said in a previous post, I am about to setup my own one so this info. is invaluable to me - thanks.

You are more than welcome.

Wow Hemsby, such detail & with clear pics too - you star ! ..I've never been more keen to go fettle a machine now.

What do you shim with -paper, foil ??.. I don't have any metal as thin as I need other than my feeler gauges (if I can find them) but that'd be daft.

Togs

Togalosh":1fjhxvyj said:
Wow Hemsby, such detail & with clear pics too - you star ! ..I've never been more keen to go fettle a machine now.

What do you shim with -paper, foil ??.. I don't have any metal as thin as I need other than my feeler gauges (if I can find them) but that'd be daft.

Togs

Thank you :oops: :oops: :oops:

You hit the nail on the head, feeler gauges. Packets of shim are expensive, get hold of some cheap feeler gauges they cut well with a pair of scissors & tin snips (hammer) you only need short pieces. I did need .020" along one strip and found some aluminium but I could have used any metal shim/feeler gauges. You could also use old tin lids, aluminium trays, NOT PAPER or CARDBOARD, the world is your Oyster :)

Your "keen to get fettling" :!: tell me that after you realise the last peice of shim you used altered a previous position and you have to jigger things around again #-o But it will be worth it in the end.

Being positive you may find that your machine needs very little adjustmet :D or alternativly you may need a house brick for packing :cry:

Hope things go well

Regards,
Keith

Hembsy where did you get the holder for the dti , or did you make it ? if so how ? I've noticed on thicknessed stock that one edge is thinner than the other , i would like to determine if the rollers are level (is there any adjustment on these to set them perfectly level) ... and also to check the thicknesser table as you describe

musomaniac":2xwfv4k0 said:
Hembsy where did you get the holder for the dti , or did you make it ? if so how ? I've noticed on thicknessed stock that one edge is thinner than the other , i would like to determine if the rollers are level (is there any adjustment on these to set them perfectly level) ... and also to check the thicknesser table as you describe

Hi,

The tool & indicator are from http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Woodwor ... uring.html currently £71.39 very useful for a number of tasks.

Assuming your timber has a good flat side to place on the thicknesses table, if the thickness is then not parallel across its width is unlikely to be a problem with the feed rollers or cutter block bearings but not impossible.

Check the infeed & rubber outfeed roller move freely up and down on their spring assemblies. The spring tension is adjustable, but without a spring gauge I slacken the bolt at each end of a roller then retighten using the same number of turns at each end until the roller comes under firm tension. Not very scientific but seems to work :eek:

Remove the guards and visually check each end of the cutter block assembly for movement while attempting to move the block up and down (WITHOUT THE BLADES FITTED #-o )

Check the cutter block is parallel to the planer table with a DTI , there should be almost no variation at each end or in the middle. Should there be a large variation it would mean you may have a tricky problem on your hands, not insurmountable but!! The table has no user friendly adjustment, it is raised and lowered by a continuous chain on sprockets fitted to the bottom of each thread on the table corners, set at the factory. Not a good idea to consider this unless there is a big variation.

Ignoring for a moment the blades & planer infeed table, the basic principle is that the axis of the cutter block should be parallel with the thicknesses table and the planer outfeed table.

When these 3 axis are correct and the infeed table is then set correctly to the outfeed if the blades are set correctly to either the cutter block or planer outfeed table the planing & thicknessing all should be fine :D .

The setting of the blades is of paramount importance in achieving a good planed surface & thicknessing but need the machine tables etc to be correct.

Hope this makes sense

Keith

The thicknessing bed chain will need a clean and oil occasionally, Ensure there is no real slack in it's working and any tensioner adjustment is usually mentioned in the user handbook, if not, don't allow the chain to droop between each corner sprocket.
Don't forget always lower the bed too far down by 3 or 4 turns and set it on the way up, to you're desired thickness
every time it is used.
With the chain adjusment set correctly, each corner should be equal.
A simple check is a piece of timber a little less than the width that has been planed and prepared parallel and square,
Hoover out the machine pop the timber in and just slowly wind up the thicknesser bed noting that both feed rollers are parallel to the timber, a good back light will aid this, If you have had some feed problems, now's the time to clean out the feed roller ends, allowing for the full drive, now they are up in the air as it were.
Then rising a little more and closing on to the cutter's, these can be checked for parellel too.
Remember these things aren't always exact, nothing like the standards required in engineering.
Regards Rodders

Latest posts

Back