Early moulding plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richarnold

Established Member
Reaction score
I spotted an interesting looking moulding plane on ebay the other week, and decided to take a chance on it.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-woodw ... true&rt=nc
Well it arrived today and to say I was pleased would be an understatement. I know that a lot of people will think I'm mad for getting exited by what is esentualy a very battered and wormeaten beech moulding plane, but this plane happens to have been made by one of the first ever british plane makers, a certain Francis Purdew. His makers mark is unusual in that it is placed on the side of the plane rather than in the end grain of the front. It is in the form of a small oval containing the words "this is fran purdus make". unfortunately due to the mark being struck into the side grain, the actual letters are usually worn away leaving just the oval depression visible. This is not that surprising as purduws planes are about 300 years old!. unfortunately this example has been shortened at the heel, but it does retain it's original wedge and iron byThomas Hildik.
Oh to be able to talk to all the craftsmen who have used this plane for the last 300 years. I feel privileged just to be able to hold it in my hands.
Cheers from a very chuffed Richard
013_zpsc101b53d.jpg

015_zps10fbdc79.jpg

012_zpsd5c826f4.jpg

022_zpse93c3f36.jpg

Cracking plane thanks for sharing. Will you be cleaning /oiling or leaving as found?

Wow!

I'm sure you'll know this already, Richard, but Goodman 2nd edition gives dates for the 'Hildik' mark as 1720 to 1760.

I'll have to check this, but I think Michael Wood makes a mention of the Hildick family in one of his recent television history series. If I recall, the Hildick family rented a mill with a waterwheel-driven trip hammer or hammers near Halesowen in the Wet Midlands around this time, making edge tools; later sons moved to Sheffield founding the famous firm of Aaron Hildick (now trading as Henry Taylor).

LJT":746ds1qu said:
Cracking plane thanks for sharing. Will you be cleaning /oiling or leaving as found?
Hi, The plane will get a clean with my own mix of wood reviver which consists of two parts raw linseed oil two parts turpentine, and one part white wine vinegar. this is rubbed in with a soft cloth. I don't use abrasives such as wire wool. once this has dried I protect the surface with renaissance wax.
Cheers Richard

I was going to put a bid on these but something came up which meant I was out for a while, glad I didn't as I've learnt something now - incidentally why do you use vinegar - is it as a fungicide?

Cheerio,

Carl

Back