Dyson Motor Project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiscoStu

Established Member
Reaction score
Our old Dyson has lost its suction. I couldn't figure out what was wrong as it felt like it had plenty of power but it didn't pick anything up. So new one purchased but I wondered if the old motor could be useful for anything?

Can't think what but thought you guys might have a project idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have "rescued" lots of these from skips etc
In every case its a bunged up filter somewhere
There will be at least 2

Strip it down, it's definitely bunged up somewhere.

Do you have a pet? Guaranteed half of it is wrapped around the guts of the Dyson.

I've stripped it down and replaced both filters. Initially it was making a bad noise which turned out to be the brush bar. I replaced this as well. It has suction at the hose where the brush bar is. However it doesn't pick anything up. I can only assume it should have a lot more suction. It's odd because if you use the hose then it seems to be fine.

The old ones had a flap valve at the base of the hose that used to get things stuck in it and give no suck.

Pete

Long haired pets, or people in the house?

I cleaned mother-in-law's upright Dyson a while back, as it was "broken" - truly terrible bit of design, with a maze of twisty little passages. I didn't find a Grue, but it took ages, a sacrifical wire coathanger and garden bamboo cane, to get it all clear. Then it was sucking up like Trump with Putin.

She was quite cross. FiL had promised her a new one!

E.

PS: Our local vac shop mends Dysons but refuses to sell them. "Go figure..."

later models have a funny arrangement where the base and upper join. when you pull the to back it moves between 1 port and another, so it sucks from the bottom when laid back and from the hose when upright. theres a little plastic tap that gets bent and stops it moving fully over the port for the lower portion. stupid design, almost like it was done to make it obsolete in X years.

otherwise, the motor is ok, not sure on the torque characteristics of it though, so only really useful for high speed low torque or gearboxed tools.

someone":1jt0klz2 said:
Stupid design, almost like it was done to make it obsolete in X years...

It's really odd that they appear that way.

Obviously nobody, least of all a prominent UK company that shut its factory here, made its workforce redundant, and outsourced to the Far East (yet still claims to be "British"), would design something with built in obsolescence and failure modes like that.

Cf. Numatic, who make Henries, etc. I went in for some new bags and a HEPA filter the other day:

"How dirty is your HEPA filter, sir?"
"Not very, but it's been in there for a while."
"Ah, well you'll only need a box of bags then. The filter is last resort protection for the motor - the bags themselves now filter to HEPA standards, and the proof is that nothing gets out into the filter."

He's right. The inside of the thing is clean as a whistle, and the filter has some very feint grey marks after five or so years.

E.

being cheap, I bought a titan from screwfix, didn't expect much of it or it's accessories, one of which is a bag. working with plaster recently and used it with the bag. after use I checked the filter, it's spotless apart from a slight smear of pink.

being cheap though, I slit the end of the bag and added a clip, now I have a reusable bag, lol.

Eric The Viking":2sk0zh8r said:
Cf. Numatic, who make Henries, etc. I went in for some new bags and a HEPA filter the other day:

On another list: someone bought a s/h Henry from a charity shop.

For a fiver.

Because of the smiley face, they thought it was a child's toy!

henry-vacuum-cleaners-p2806-7452_image.jpg

BugBear

Had one of the original Dysons many years ago. It was the multi coloured one and cost well over £400 - that was just after we were married and before the kids arrived. I told my wife it was a pile of over priced rubbish. It got binned 6 months later. I could have sucked up more dirt using my mouth and a straw than that ever would do. I am pretty handy with a screwdriver etc and couldn't make it work properly. Wouldn't even accept a gold plated free one to use in the house that was presented by Dyson himself.

novocaine":2p8i30uz said:
later models have a funny arrangement where the base and upper join. when you pull the to back it moves between 1 port and another, so it sucks from the bottom when laid back and from the hose when upright. theres a little plastic tap that gets bent and stops it moving fully over the port for the lower portion. stupid design, almost like it was done to make it obsolete in X years.

otherwise, the motor is ok, not sure on the torque characteristics of it though, so only really useful for high speed low torque or gearboxed tools.

I think that sounds viable as there is plenty of suck out of the top hose.

We've bought a new one - yes another Dyson but I'll still have another look at this.

To be honest we've had two Dysons in about 18 years so I'm not complaining. You can also buy all the parts for them easily so I think they are good. The new one has no filters to clean so we'll see how that goes.

I know exactly the shop that EtV mentions. A few years ago, when it came to buying a vacuum cleaner after our old Electrolux died, the first thing I did was to see what office cleaning firms use as I thought that what’s good enough for them would be good enough for me; almost without exception, they use Henrys. That was good enough for my wife and me. Most people that I have known, although there are exceptions, who have bought a Dyson based on the advertising hype have binned it after a couple of years because some of the flimsy plastic parts have broken and have bought some other brand instead. As well as having 3 Henrys, we also own a Miele (first class) and our daughters both have Henrys, one of them having binned a Dyson.

On the personal side, Mr D is hardly a poverty stricken inventor. His net worth in 2016 was put at £5 billion! According to Wikipedia, “In 2003, Dyson paid £15 million[ for Dodington Park, a 300-acre Georgian estate in South Gloucestershire close to Chipping Sodbury. He and his wife also own Domaine des Rabelles, near Tourtour, France, and a townhouse in Chelsea, London. His vessel Nahlin is the largest British-flagged and owned super yacht with an LOA of 91 metres (299 ft), and was ranked 36th in a 2013 survey of the world's 100 biggest yachts.” Although one shouldn't begrudge him his success, at least he is an engineer and inventor not a City wide boy gambling our money on the stock markets and his company does employ quite a number of researchers at their base in Malmesbury, I still think he is a self-publicist a la Richard Branson. For all the hi-tech nature of his company’s products, many are built down to a price and then offered for sale at an inflated price. The only exception that I would make to this comment is that the Airblade range of hand dryers are by far the best out there.

The fact the he has a super yacht and it's British flagged tells me all I need to know. He's a good guy. He could easily have that registered in some tax haven.

Back