DW 720 RAS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dicky

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking through some past threads, I noticed comments from newbie neil regarding modifications to the DW720 to fit a freud Dado cutter. I am having problems fitting my freud cutter to my ras and I think the problem is that the cutter is 5/8" bore and the saw arbour is 16mm. Any idea on what the mods may be?

deWalt used to make a special wider guard to use with dado heads as the standard guard is too narrow to accommodate them. Whioch dado set do you have? The DW set with two parts or a stacked set? Does your RAS have a brake? If so it may be a bit risky to use a stacked dado set as the saw will tend to throw off the dado set unless you can lock nut it in place (and even then there may be a problem because of the amount of kinetic energy stored in the dado set)

Scrit

Cheers Scrit.
I have the DW720 which is capable of taking a dado set. The braking is sufficient for them and the guard is capable (providing the riving knife is removed) of accepting the blades, according to the instructions anyway. I have spoken to my local service centre and they reckon that the freud dado set should be acceptable, but when fitting the set, it appears that because the set is 5/8" bore and the spindle is 16mm, the spindle is a tad too big. BTW, I also have the correct 'back arbour spacer' required to allow the guard to be fitted. I don't want to have to rub down the spindle to make the set fit, and I don't want to pay an extorsionate price for a Dewalt set. I originally purchased a 30mm bore set from M/M when I bought thE RAS because it takes a 30mm bore blade. I got them over a year ago, but have only just had the time to try it out. M/M were good enough to swap the set for a 5/8" bore with no questions asked, but they still don't fit properly. The service centre is shut for the W/E and I thought I might get some ideas from the more experienced members. I may have to resign myself to the fact That I ain't gonna be able to be a 'Dado Head'.

Dicky

Excellent!
Just rang them and they suggested getting freud to rebore the holes to fit.......at a cost of £15. I will give them a phone and see what the score is.
Stand by for up dates!

Dicky

Update!
Just used a dremel sanding drum to take off a minute amount from the bores of the set, which was advised by various sources, and..........success. The set fits perfectly! I did notice however on ebay, a dado set, 30mm & 16mm bores for £69.99 + £8 p+p in a nice case. If anyone's interested, type in 'dado blades' on the search.

Thanks again for all your help,

Dicky

:D your a braver man than I am :? saw blades are driled and made to be balanced :D I think i might have waited and got it sorted by freud to rebore the holes to fit I love using my dado but would never entertain redoining the bore my self be careful that the slight of set dose not loosen your locking nut :cry:

all the best

martyn

This is getting silly!
Fitted the dado.............can't fit the guard. The guard is supposed to be compatable and I have the right spacer, but no. I'm now giving up ever being able to use dado heads in woodwork. So, if anyone wants to buy a back arbour spacer for the 720 RAS at cost, obviously unused, pm me.
Back to the router!

Dicky

Dicky":167jpekv said:
Fitted the dado.............can't fit the guard.

IIRC the Freud Technical Services department said that you had to modify the guard to allow you to fit a dado.

At that point I made the decision to use a router and jig. :wink:

Cheers
Neil

Hi Dicky,
I have the 720 RAS and use it with the Freud dado set and the guard fits!!
I will have a look next week at the arrangement and PM you with the info.
John

Thanks Neil & John.
I have spoken to M/M, and they have agreed to refund me for the dado set, even though I have had it for just over a year. I will also speak to Dewalts' tech dept on monday. I really would like to be able to use a dado, but don't want to sacrifice safety! I eagerly await your PM John,

Dicky

Do Machine Mart know you have rebored the dado set? It may be illegal now as if it is fitted to the size it is sold for who knows what might happen.
There was a heated debate on this site a while back about a supplier not taking a customers word but this shows why they that position.

Back