Dvr woes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete honeyman

Established Member
Reaction score
My nova dvr xp has started playing tricks again - refusing to start, displaying ' RPS state error' . The fix is to take the endplate off and clean the speed sensors with meths, which I've Done several times but I'm ow wondering if it's a temperature thing. Seems to come with the cold weather - does anyone else with a nova have a fix for this ?

Pete

Cant offer a fix for this

I had problems with the same lathe :(

Record Power just send email back and forth to Tecnatool and I ended up getting nowhere :(

In the end I sent the headstock to speed genie , who told me it was a motor fault and they could not help

Ended up skipping the lot as Record power wanted £800 for a new headstock unit , and told me the 5 year guarantee does not cover the electronics side of things :roll:

Record Power NEVER again :twisted:

This is usually a problem caused by excessive dust inside the headstock.
As well as cleaning the sensors it's also a good idea to stick a vacuum in where you can or blow air through the headstock from the back and from the front (through the small opening near the bed). If you can get it started at all I also wind it up to max revs and that blows out excessive dust as well.

Failing that, the problem might be resolved by replacing the sensor board. I've had to do this once. It's easy enough but I can't remember how much it cost.

I don't think it's a problem with the cold, although perhaps it could be something to do with condensation.

When I've had problems in the past I've usually had more success contacting Teknatool direct and bypassing Record.

Good luck

Duncan

So, I took the endplate off and set a fan heater to blow warm air up it's rear end for an hour or two before starting. Worked perfectly - so I'm thinking the ambient temperature is indeed the problem. I guess new Zealand must be warmer than perthshire.

Hope this is a help to any other nova users in the frozen north.

Pete

pete honeyman":3rk1igh0 said:
So, I took the endplate off and set a fan heater to blow warm air up it's rear end for an hour or two before starting. Worked perfectly - so I'm thinking the ambient temperature is indeed the problem. I guess new Zealand must be warmer than perthshire.

Hope this is a help to any other nova users in the frozen north.

Pete

I guess things never change, Pete. My jointer does the same thing. Except it's because the oil won't flow in the babbitt bearings below 50F.:)

Seriously, if this is a temperature and not a dust issue, I doubt you'll need to heat it more than 10 minutes or so. The electronics don't have much mass, so getting them heated up to operating temperature shouldn't take very long at all, particularly with a fan.

Kirk

I'll experiment with different lengths of heating, but the heavy head casting will take a lot of heating after a night below freezing - maybe I'll extend the central heating.

Try placing a 9-11 watt long life bulb under the headstock area and drape a cover over lathe, this is all I have in my wood/metal lathe tools storage cabinet, on 24/7/365 and it's enough for them to feel warm to the touch no matter what time of the year and no rust problems. Should be able to prove viability within a few days with current weather forecast, then you can sort out a secure mounting and enclosure if it works.

All my warming tricks failed to work this weekend, so I fitted the new speed sensor board I bought last winter but never fitted (very fiddly) - works perfectly now. I hope this helps any other DVR owners/servants.

pete

Back