Dust rant

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickm

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Two TV programmes which I try to watch are the Repair Shop on BBC and Salvage Hunters - the restorers on whatever it is. While both show some very impressive work, both the title sequences really annoy me. In each case, a pile of fine dust is shown on a surface and then blown towards the camera. Artistically, possibly interesting, but the implication that it's acceptable to blow dust into someone's face I find really irresponsible.
Or am I getting ever less tolerant in old age?

Yes you are getting less tolerant with age so join the club!

I just accept sawdust as a byproduct of woodworking, I don't use any fancy extraction systems but just a small SIP and a Nilfisk hoover because I am that much older and come from the generation that accepted that workshops cannot be clinically clean unless you were German and wear mask & eye glasses, then have a hoover up every now and again.

This is one of the reasons that I watch very little 'live' TV - virtually everything I watch is via iPlayer where I can simply click on the time-line bar to jump to at least the position where you do see the programme title!

Having met a fellow woodworker about 10 years ago who was selling all his gear as his lung condition had become so bad he was permanently hooked up to an oxygen tank was a real eye opener for me.
It certainly made me rethink every aspect of how I work wood & deal with the byproducts as I definitely don’t want to end my days in that scenario.
So I agree with you @dickm anything showing images of irresponsible uses of dust can be annoying.

I was about to chasten Spectric for being rude and assuming that you, dickm, are running close to the age of a number of us, but then saw how long you have been here and the number of posts, and thought better of that.

The trouble is that once you get to the point of finding that something like that annoys you, and regardless of its gimmick or 'artistic' value, it will always do so. I find now that on my favoured radio channel, there are two presenters whose voices annoy me - I seem to be unable to get over that and have to change channel when they come on.
Rob

Since I always skip over the introduction I'm not bothered by it, I'm watching it less and less due to the lack of detailed processes being shown. It's all very well showing 'Here's a broken object that has some memories for the owner' and then showing it after many hours of restoration showing only two or three 'snippets' of the process ... and the number of times I've seen them using a one hand held drill to drill a precision hole whilst holding the object in the other hand :eek:

The raison d'être of the programme is the emotional attachment of the object to the owner.

I knew the world had gone mad ............ sadly it has now arrived on the forum.

Two TV programmes which I try to watch are the Repair Shop on BBC and Salvage Hunters - the restorers on whatever it is. While both show some very impressive work, both the title sequences really annoy me. In each case, a pile of fine dust is shown on a surface and then blown towards the camera. Artistically, possibly interesting, but the implication that it's acceptable to blow dust into someone's face I find really irresponsible.
😅Yes you've officially joined the old gits club! I also joined recently 😁

I have a theory that the producers are not really interested in the topic and only the individuals in the show. My evidence is that whenever a really interesting technique or hand skill is being shown, just at the critical moment the picture goes to the technicians face. Contrast this to You Tube where we get interminable waffle at the beginning but for the most part you can see all the action, if sometimes a bit blurry or shaky.
Not like the old days, when there was only one channel, tellies were black & white and had doors, then there was a potter throwing a pot in painful detail, when all you wanted to see was the Wooden Tops. Whoops that's a different thread.

Congratulations!!! You have definitely reached the 'grumpy' stage in life 😂. I think I have said elsewhere, It's when the world has changed more than you can accept. Everything annoys you. I became a grumpy old man years ago and proud to be so!. I even have the mug to prove it!. I try to switch off to everything and not wearing my hearing aids helps a lot. The UK and the World has gone effin mad!!! I focus on the things I love doing, but I do occasionally have a rant about anything and everything.
In absolute terms a scene where a bit of dust is blown is harmless, what about all the TV programs/films where you see people getting killed. Shot in the head, strangled. in high resolution? does that not annoy you more? the outcome is far worse?

In absolute terms a scene where a bit of dust is blown is harmless, what about all the TV programs/films where you see people getting killed. Shot in the head, strangled. in high resolution? does that not annoy you more? the outcome is far worse?
Agree up to a point, but there is some distinction to be made between factual (well, they'd claim to be factual) programmes where folk are doing things, wrongly IMHO, which the viewer might then do, and usually fictional sequences which most people should find offensive, but which they are unlikely to copy. However, I agree that the graphic presentation of violence, which can legitimise it in the heads of some viewers, is dangerous and unnecessary.
Now to set another hare running - I think the glorification of driving stupidly which occurs in programmes like Top Gear and some of the car restoration ones is the worst of both worlds. It encourages people to do things which are not only dangerous to themselves, but potentially murderous to others. I've lost two family members to "accidents" where cars were being driven stupidly and dangerously, so in this context, have been a miserable old git for 50 years.

Initially I thought yes you’re just an old moaner like many of us. But in retrospect this is quite important. The BBC or whoever needs to have a disclaimer or at least show one of some if their craftsman referring to dust management. We know it’s artistic and entertaining and tugs at heartstrings etc. But the issue needs to be raised. I don’t want any from my family going into the program with some broken bit of my stuff after I’ve popped my clogs from lung issues.

Write directly to the office of the director general with a complaint, copy the health and safety executive. That might spark some action :)
Or not ... but at least you acted on your annoyance.

Initially I thought yes you’re just an old moaner like many of us. But in retrospect this is quite important. The BBC or whoever needs to have a disclaimer or at least show one of some if their craftsman referring to dust management. We know it’s artistic and entertaining and tugs at heartstrings etc. But the issue needs to be raised. I don’t want any from my family going into the program with some broken bit of my stuff after I’ve popped my clogs from lung issues.
Or at lease a trigger warning saying that the show contains material that might offend old gits. I hate to say it it jerks my chain too :). They could provide a link to UKW in the closing credits for those in need of support as a result

I hadn't given the dust blowing any thought - most probably because I see everything on TV these days as entertaining rather than educational. If I want educational, I err toward specific channels on YouTube or similar.

I don't allow myself to get annoyed by specific things that I see. I get annoyed by most things that I see. So yes, I am probably the retired grumpy Victor Meldrew that I never expected or wanted to become.

I am not a fan of TV in general but had caught this and it really got to me. I thought I was being over sensitive. I understand the artistic 'argument' but my whole working life is in powders / dusts / filters etc as a particle technologist. It just sends out completely the wrong message. Another oldie here.

Honestly not seen any of these shows, though I'd be more upset if they weren't wearing a mask while working. The blowing of the dust toward the lens is just arty faff by some overly enthusiastic director.

Or you're all a bunch of dustflakes 🤪

All these programmes are entertainment human interest shows in the form of competitions and makeovers for a general audience.

If you want instructions or "how it's done", you'd need to go to Youtube, even there it's mostly cr*p.

Back