Dust mask for a beardie.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm after a good dust mask for a bearded face. Any recomendations?
At the moment, I use cheap disposable paper masks. Probably not very effective, and if I'm hones, I usually don't bother unless doing something particularly dusty.

I've was up in the loft the other day, sorting out hte insulation and didn't wear any dust mask. Not very clever, but I won't be doing it again.

I had a quick look online at the Trend Airace, and almost ordered it. But then I found a post by wizer stating that he didn't find it a good fit on his face and his beard may make it a less than optimum fit.

So, what I want to know is, is there a good solution that will work for me.
(I've seen the airshield, but really can't justify the cost). I'm a weekend woodworker and even then, I'm lucky if I get a couple of hours a month.
I seem to be busy with other DIY projects at the moment. I even have a list :(

I know it's not going to be the air tight seal that is required in the industrial places, but All I want is something better than the paper masks, that won't break the bank. Airace seems about the right price, also some of the gas mask style ones with the two filters look the business. But no idea if they are any better/worse.

Also, is the airace discontinued? I see that axminster don't stock it any more.

Advice/recommendations welcome please.

Thanks
J

speak to wizer. I remember him having the same trouble.
I have 'growth' and get on well with the one I have. I'll look it up, but wizer has one too, so see what he says.

HTH

Neil

I don't have a beard but I do have a Trend Airace and find it excellent. I don't think a beard would significantly affect it's efficiency so long as your moustache isn't too bushy.
A number of other masks I have tried tended to cause my specs to steam up - not a problem with the Airace - and still able to wear safety goggles with it.

Richard

You could almost be describing my journey to finding the right mask. I tried the Airshield and hated it. Then I purchased the gas style mask that you referred to. Used for for a few years before I could no longer get the filters. It was, however, very good (mine was a Roebuck). I now have the Airace and it's the best to date.

BTW - I have a beard and the Airace is a very good fit. It comes with a bung for blocking up the air hole to test the fit. I couldn't get any air past the seal - it just sucked on to my face.

I have a beard and have glasses - I got a 3M 7500 Silicone half mask from here

Issac Lord sell the replacement filters as well as the Scan respirator.

I am impressed with it - for the work I do (mainly lathe). Glasses do not steam up and is comfortable.

Hope this helps

Dave

I too have a beard and glasses; I've tried a half mask and couldn't get on with it at all as I found it made breathing hard work, and my glasses misted up straight away.

However, I'm very pleased with my JSP PowerCap, which is comfortable to wear for a long period, supplies cool air and doesn't mist glasses. The bump protection is good to have at times, such as when working in a loft.

If memory serves it cost around £150 ten years ago, and well worth the money even for an occasional user. What does a pair of lungs cost?

I have the JSP Power Cap I glasses and some time a beard I find the power Cap all right

yes I posted about this before. I don't have a beard, I just only shave once a week so have constant stubble. when I did the fit test on the AirAce it let air in the sides. I initially thought this was because of my beard but I actually think it's the shape of my head/face as even when clean shaven it doesn't completely seal. I have not got around to trying an alternative yet but I will now that I am turning. Next show I want to have an extensive try of a AirShield as this would solve the problem.

Thanks for all the replies.
For £30 I think it's worth a try.
I would love to be able to go for the airshield, but can't justify i.

The best price I've found so far is at tooled-up.com

Anyone used them before?
Or, can anyone beat their price of £29.31 inc VAT

Thanks
J

I had an an Airshield but recently sold it to a forum member. They are good in that they keep all the dust out of your tubes, but I found it cumbersome to wear, 'specially for close work (the visor kept bumping into things) but the worst thing was the continual buzzinig :evil: of the motor which was intensely irritating - Rob

I'd suggest you try before you buy. Airace is useless for me - simply does not seal around the top of my nose, so my specs still mist up. In my case, it's simply due to the size/shape of my nose.

I think an Airsield or powercap will be the only option for me :(

cheers
Dave

I'd need to find somewhere I can try one then,
I'll have a look for a local tool shop. Not sure i'll have much luck though.
We'll see.

Otherwise, I may just take the gamble that my face conforms to the manufacturers specifications :)

Thanks
J

I tried an AirShield on recently and was surprised how light and non-annoying it was. Shame you can't try them out for a whole day to work out whether they would be annoying.

Dave S":2xqi9i5f said:
I'd suggest you try before you buy. Airace is useless for me - simply does not seal around the top of my nose, so my specs still mist up. In my case, it's simply due to the size/shape of my nose.

I think an Airsield or powercap will be the only option for me :(

cheers
Dave
OK, so the airace turned up yesterday.
I did the test with the red bung and sucking it onto my face.
As you say, it lets in air at the top of the nose. I haven't tried it with my goggles or specs on yet. It's not far off, It only takes a very light pinch at the top of my nose to seal it. Then I get a small amount of leakage under my chin, due to the beard. I could probably make it fit my nose better with some kind of wire clip. I'll investigate further tonight.
Overall though, I think it is a significant improvement over the paper masks, or nothing that I used before.

Back