Dust Extractor - Which one ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.V

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Having been in the workshop most of today, i really need a dust extractor.

but which one ?

i would ideally like to spend under £200, could possibly squeeze a bit more, but not much.

although i will be connecting it to a few machines, bandsaw, router table, table saw, sander, chop saw, they wont all be running at the same time.

any recommendations ?

I've got a Fein QA35E - about £175.

Works great with all the machines you list (though no good for chip collection on a P/T). And it has a power tool take off, so it kicks in automatically when you fire your power tool up.

Cheers

Karl

If you want something that'll handle large chips and shavings from your planer/thicknesser and router table then, I can recommend the ADE1200 extractor from Axminster. This should still cost you less than £200 although, it's not ideal for fine dust as that just escapes through the cloth filter and back in to your lungs... :?

Record Power do the CX2600 - a very similar machine with a near-identical spec. Biggest difference here is that they sell an optional cartridge filter for this extractor, which would stop the extra fine stuff escaping (at the loss of some airflow).

If you could stretch to £250, you could get the ADE2200 from Axminster, which would be better still for a plumbed in system. Bear in mind that the cartridge filter for this one costs a bomb!! :shock:

Not one of these extractors would be suitable should you wish to reduce the hose/bore diameter for working with power tools; you'd still need a HPLV workshop vacuum, as Karl has linked to. :)

I've got the Fein and I think it's a great little machine, I use mine with hand tools on site. However I would say that if you have anything bigger than the smallest bandsaw you would require something larger, I my shop I have a large Camvac and an Axminster DC13. The Camvac is very noisy, the DC13 is great but very expensive. I really think you should go and have a look at what others have got and try before you buy as it's almost impossible to get the ideal dust extraction solution. You are welcome to visit my workshop and have a look at what I use (I'll even make you a cuppa) if you are ever near Staplehusrt in Kent.
Simon

Oryxdesign":al9wfgza said:
However I would say that if you have anything bigger than the smallest bandsaw you would require something larger,

True - I haven't used mine with the bandsaw yet. Think i'll stick with the Axminster extractor which I use for the thicknesser.

Cheers

Karl

thanks for your responses

i like the look of the axminister ADE1200

the reviews i have read though say that it if reduce the incoming pipe, i.e. to connect to my chop saw, it will affect performance, has anyone found that ?

i do have a vacuum cleaner i use at the moment, which will probably be best suited for the sander (disc and hand)

i would like to put the extractor in the corner, then run the pipe across top of workshop and then drop down points to the machines, some of which would be reducing the pipe size. i realise i'll have to put some valves so that all the suction goes to the machine i am using.

does that sound ok ? or am i going about it wrong ?

Sounds fine, try to keep bends etc to a minimum, reducing diameter increases air speed but doesn't seem to reduce performance, if you greatly reduce diameter it does tend to try and concertina a flexible hose.

Paul.V":3spnzye7 said:
thanks for your responses

i like the look of the axminister ADE1200

the reviews i have read though say that it if reduce the incoming pipe, i.e. to connect to my chop saw, it will affect performance, has anyone found that ?

That is true. Well, that certainly applies when it's connected directly to one machine. I can't comment on how things may different if the extractor is at the heart of a system and the chop saw somewhere near the end ~ it might be okay...

To be honest, dust extraction from most mitre saws is poor anyway. If you really want to improve things here, you could try building a box to sit behind the sit with a 100mm outlet for extraction - just a thought. :wink:

I got a REXON DE1000F recently off fleabay. Seems to work pretty well to me - but then anything would as I've never had extraction before.

Hi,

If you're looking for a good extractor, checkot lyndhurst woodworking. I purchased their 3hp extractor for £235. It was much less than the axminster equivalent. I'm planning to convert it to a cyclone, so keep a look out for upcoming pics :D

regards,

michael

that lyndhurst one looks good, however its a bit too big for the space i have.

is it noisy ?

i like the idea of getting a bigger one, so it wouldn't be longer before i needed to upgrade. though by that time i'll likely have built a bigger workshop :)

These extractors won't make the same kind of noise you'd expect to hear from a workshop vacuum. The larger ones may hum a bit but, you should still be able to have a conversation with someone without having to shout! :D

Paul.V":kma6noka said:
that lyndhurst one looks good, however its a bit too big for the space i have.

is it noisy ?

i like the idea of getting a bigger one, so it wouldn't be longer before i needed to upgrade. though by that time i'll likely have built a bigger workshop :)

Hi,

I just built it today and fired it up for the first time. Was expecting something similar to the noise of my RSDE1 but was pleased to find out that it is just a hum. It is very quiet imo and I am really pleased with it. I will be making it into a cyclone shortly so look out for that :D

Regards,

Michael

Latest posts

Back