Dust extractor comparison - is the Festool worth the money?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Trend hose does catch, I'm afraid. Can't comment on the Festool but the hose on the Trend is very long and more compliant than others (Metabo) that I've used. Best thing is have the hose coming down from above, some sort of bungee cord set-up.

Noel

Thanks Noel. Does it retract as well? 5m of hose is a lot to trip over. I know what you mean about a bungee setup but I want a portable dx not something that in effect becomes plumbed in - which that starts to lead to.

Cheers

Tim

No Tim, retraction not a feature of the Trend. Would maybe make it twice the size. Ref the overhead hose, a cord and a hook over the bench works well. Doesn't need to be permanent, or just get in the habit of throwing it over your shoulder. Let us know what you end up with.

Noel

Tim,

Festool does not retract on my CT33 and it does catch I am afraid; although the Festool guide rail has accessories that provide a smooth entry path onto the rail itself for the hose. I reckon something rigged up from the ceiling, to support the hose is the answer.

[quote"Noel"]just get in the habit of throwing it over your shoulder[/quote]

zackly!

Cheers

Tim

Festool do a hose holder (part no 487072) for their extractors that holds the hose off the ground - for only £20! :)

Rather better though is the mobile boom arm (part no 492770, 492452, 492765 depending on CT model) - a mere £200 for the CT22! :shock:

The FRTFR strikes again! :)

I've rigged up one of those retractable dog leads over my bench to take the hose; trouble is I've yet to need to use it since I put it up so I can't tell you if it works or not. :roll: Anyway, fwiw.

Cheers, Alf

Alf

Thats a great idea - my only experience of one of those was to see it snap within seconds of being attached to one of our labs! :D

Cheers

Tim

tim":3tyb6vfz said:
my only experience of one of those was to see it snap within seconds of being attached to one of our labs!

Josh - the almost greyhound in my avatar - bit clean through his £40 extending lead the 2nd time we used it. Fortunately they replaced it as I argued it must have been unfit for purpose as it was so easy to damage.
He's not so desperate to escape now fortunately.

Pete, I' ve been using the CT33 for 6 years now and its been heavily used since then.Mainly for sanding with Festo RS3 , RS400, the big DeWalt :oops: could not afford the big Rotex one, plus my routers.

The MAIN advantage for the Festool is the HOSE it is a very flexible rubber adaptor which fits on or IN many other makes of power tools :D eg - Makita biscuit jointer it fits just over the chip extractor , in goes it snugly on the DeWalt's extractor pipe, plus if you get the offer of the cleaning kit it cleans the shop floor too. :p

Another advantage, only if you have the Metabo/Festool systainers is the stacking abilty :) bloody great for taking tools on site for final fitting.

BUY the CT33 its the best, size power and cost - you cannot better the VFM

all the best HS

Sorry to resurrect this thread.

Is the CTmini the only extractor that has a hose coiling option (that works)? I need a new extractor - but I have had enough of hoses that get in the way esp when on site. Does the CT22 have a neat way of storing the hose when not in use?.

Not wedded to Festool so other brand advice welcome but its mainly the hose thing (on top of the expected functions) that I really need info on.

Cheers

Tim

Tim

On the CTmini the hose coils in the top when not in use, I'm assuming that the larger ones are the same, or maybe I shouldn't assume.

Thanks Waka. Can any CT22 or Ct33 owners confirm? I can't see where it goes and they don't show them in the catalogue -which I would have thought they would as a key benefit.

Also re noise levels, Festool dont state dB levels but Festool UK have confirmed its 72. This makes it the same as Trend, yet folks here are saying their Festools are quiet. Is the Trend one quiet too then or are Festool owners harder of hearing? :D

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim

Trend owner here and I think it's fairly quiet. I also use the over the shoulder trick.

Mind you, I might be comparing it to the Camvac! Now that is noisy.

Cheers
Neil

Tim,

I'm 99% sure that there is no hose storage on the CT22 & upwards - have you noticed in some of the pics that they have a systainer clipped to the top of the unit where the picture on the side of it shows a hose & other fittings? Presumably they would only do this if there was no built-in hose storage. They have a storage compartment (p271 in my '03/'04 catalogue) but it doesn't look big enough for a hose.

Cheers,
Neil

Neil, thats what I thought about the storage - Festool UK (or whatever the agents are now called) says it does - but I don't actually believe them (if you had had the phonecall you'd understand my scepticism).

Also re sound levels, found this link to make comparisons:

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html.

Newbie Neil, would you say your Trend is about the same as a normal conversation level?

Cheers

Tim

Newbie_Neil":93ml3yor said:
Hi Tim

tim":93ml3yor said:
Newbie Neil, would you say your Trend is about the same as a normal conversation level?

IIRC there's no problem in having a conversation when it's on.

I'd second that. It's just a normal "hoover" noise - irritating but not deafening

Scott (who hates hoovers :wink: )

Tim,

I can confirm that the CT22 does not have any provision for onboard hose storage except in an additional systainer box. It's a good machine other than that with good capacity and excellent suction.

Regards

David

David

Festool Uk say that the hose can be stored inside the body - is that complete rubbish then?

Cheers

Tim

Back