Dust Extraction - Varying Price Points?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supernova9

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Basically I'm looking to get some kind of extractor for my workshop - I don't really have any big machinery other than a bench-top thicknesser, the stuff I use is mainly routers, electric sanders and the like, so hand-held power tools working hardwoods and MDF/ply.

I'm looking for advice as to my options at various price points, and what would be suitable. Just from looking at MachineMart/Axminster, there are various options, from own-brand extractors from £60-100 up to things like the Festool Midi at about £260, on even further to machines like a Numatic woodvac at £360. So what are the benefits to each price point, and what would you recommend? I'm happy to pay for quality of machine if it warrants it, but don't want to spend extra without getting an appreciable benefit for it. Any advice you can give me would be great!

:)

There are two mains types of extractor - HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) and HPLV. HVLP extractors are best-suited to collection large amounts of waste, from planers, thicknessers, spindle moulders, router tables, etc. They will, to some extent, also take fine sawdust from saws and sanders but, more often than not, this will escape through the open-weave top filter bag and back in to your workshop. You cannot reduce the diameter of hose on a HVLP machine without losing airflow and suction.

If you want something to use with power tools and very fine dust, an HPLV machine is what you need. Because of the high pressure airflow, these can be reduced to smaller diameter hoses. But, they are much noisier than HVLP machine (quite like vacuums, actually).

Some manufacturers claim that you can use small HPLV machines with planer thicknessers... Well, that might work with smaller machinery but, the smaller capacity drums fill up very fast this way.

You could also take a look at the Record Power range. While you're there, you could ask them to send you a FREE Buyer's Guide DVD! :wink:

Hope this helps. :)

Back