Dust extraction vacuum selection

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnbulls74

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have tried to read the very in-depth topic on this by siggy_7 but I am still a little puzzled. I wonder if anyone can give some advice....
My Setup....
I have installed 63mm (couldn't afford 100mm) pipe ducting in my 6mx3m workshop longest stretch is 8m with only 45 degree bends where needed and Y joints and blast gates and as minimal flexible pipe as possible. I have it hooked up to a table saw, router, Pillar Drill, Sander and mitre saw (hope to add a bandsaw at soon)
I currently have it hooked up with an old Vac (WL092 - 1200w) which has a rating of 45l/s after doing some googling . it struggles to pull much in particularly on the table saw which has 2 ports. The filter is clean on the vac I assume its just not powerful enough.

My question then is, do I need a vacuum with high Kpa or a chip extractor with high volume?
I have been looking at these 3 models but if you know of any more suitable le tme know.... and they don't give the same info unless I am missing something so I don't know the KPA of all of them.

Vacmaster Power 30 - ebay £90 (says its 60l/sec, Kpa 16)
Or
Axminster Craft AC37E - axminster £160 (850m3/hour) google worked out was equivalent to 236l/s?
Or
Lumberjack - Toolsave £90 (183m3 / hour) google worked out was equivalent to 50l/s?

There is also the health side as the Lumberjack seems to filter out much smaller particles than the other two and filters seem to be very expensive for the Axy model if they even fit it...

I didn't want to spend too much on the extractor as I want to by a bandsaw (problem for another day) so £160 is about top.

I am starting out so I haven't done many things yet but I hope to make small toys, picture frames, stools, cabinets that sort of thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
John

Sorry to tell you, but you need a chip extractor for that type of set up, unfortunately it will double your budget, my current extractor is 2000m3/hr and I think its only adequate on a ducting system, so I now attach it to each machine whilst its in use, if at a later date you get a planer thicknesser it will be the tool to have, vacuum cleaners are only for fine dust off the floor or from small tools.

EDIT: to add link: https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-h ... tor-501264 I have the pleated paper filter on it as well.

MikeJhn has hit the nail on the head there, vacuum cleaners/shop vacs (call them what you will) are for fine dust removal from a single source, like attached to an RO sander. They just don't shift enough air to be useful in a multipoint ducted system like you have described.

Get yourself a chip extractor, plenty come up second hand on eBay. replace the filters for new ones or look to vent the thing outside after using some sort of separator. I built a Thien separator from an old chip extractor blower, that uses 100mm pipework and total cost was about £130 including all the fittings. Mine catches about 95-98% of what goes in and the residual fine dust that bypasses is just vented outside into the garden.

Will

Thanks for the responses, I forgot to say I have a Cylone thing hooked up so the big stuff doesn't go to the vac, hadn't though of having it vented to go outside that's a great idea.
will the 2hp chip extractors be enough or am I best to ditch the ducting?
There also seems to be a fox model which looks identical to the one recommended above but claims more higher flow rate and is cheaper. is that true?

Fox don't seem to get very good reviews there are some on here somewhere.

I think like a lot of generic tools they are all built to the same basic design but with slightly differing QC.

The unit is butchered for the motor and blower was a Rexon branded extractor with a 1hp motor. The data plate says 1000m3/hr but the separator bit will reduce this a bit. there's still plenty of suck for what I need though.

I don't reckon you've got much chance with 63mm duct over many machines and 8m or so. Even a 1 hp chip extractor would be inadequate.
Just for general info buying tools is very exciting but dust extraction is a bore. BUT if you want to know a secret dust extraction would be the first machine any woodworker would buy. Overspecced as well.

Its much better to overwhelm the extraction than just meet what is adequate, you can always restrict the extraction if its too much, but can't do the opposite.

I have had that extractor for at least 5 years and never had any problems with it running a table saw , Planer Thicknesser, And Router Table. Plenty suction using 63mm clear hose so would be even better if it was hooked up to 100mm.
Hope that helps Jim.

Latest posts

Back