• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Dust extraction, system build?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

pe2dave

Established Member
Reaction score
Way back when a thread showed the use of 'oversized' plumbing to match extraction to tools.
(Very neat idea).

Question. For non-chip producers (i.e. dust) is 50mm hose considered sufficient?
Lots of googling has persuaded me that there is no such thing as a standard vac hose size,
so the use of glued 'reduced' plumbing seems ideal.

Secondly, is it worth paying lots more for posh anti-static hose?

Thirdly: Where do you go (.uk) for adaptors please - e.g. hose to nozzle?

Terrytpot

Established Member
Reaction score
ignore the fact that this link states its for 100mm hose...it was the only way I could find to link to the adaptors etc that Charnwood sell...fairly sure Axminster do all this stuff too but they are somewhat pricier ;) (had this as a bookmark for a while now as its the cheapest I can find decent hose)

DBT85

Established Member
Reaction score
If you are only going to make it that large, use as much rigid pipe as possible and use as little flex hose as possible. At the end of the day the connection to the small tool will be the limiting factor as you're not going to have a 100mm opening on a tracksaw for example.

Mattias just did a video about the effect of hose diameter and length on shop vacs and extractors which is worth a few minutes. Though he doens't cover any smooth walled pipe in the tests.